Image planning for the next 3 or 4 weeks.......

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Image planning for the next 3 or 4 weeks.......

Unread post by Pete »

Missed the last new moon due to vacationing on the west coast. What's coming up that's good imaging?

The galaxies have set and one globular is starting to look like another. It's nebula season :P Looking forward to dropping down from a 2200mm focal length to an ever so much more user friendly 700mm. Tired of bloated stars. Got the triplet now, but the Hyperstar f/2 beats the refractor f/7 when it comes to nebula. Just in from mounting the Hyperstar. It mounts pretty quickly with experience.

My horizon excludes the Trifid and the many goodies toward the center of the Milky Way. And I've got decent images of the most visited DSOs like the Veil. Trolling the internet identified 4 worthwhile image targets:
NGC 6334 Cat's Paw Nebula 40' X 23' in size
NGC 7380 Wizard Nebula 25' diameter in size Caught a decent image of this one 14 Aug 21 but it might be worth another pass
IC 1396 Elephant Trunk Nebula 1 1/2° or larger in size. Worked this 13 Aug 21 but the image was unsatisfactory because the focus was bad.
NGC 6369 Little Ghost Nebula 28' in diameter but believed to be faint
IC 4604 Rho Ophiuchi Nebula 60' X 50' This is a new one to me and it looks interesting

The camera's running some dark fields. Hoping to get out on Friday night. Anyone got any suggestions for other large objects above the ecliptic that are a bit off the imager's beaten path?
Pete P.