Ioptron visit

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Ioptron visit

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

O Monday, Don Bullard and myself took a trip up to Woburn Mass. to get my two ioptron mounts checked out. Both mounts were acting up and I called got the ok to bring them in The receptionist greeted us and got the tech to talk to us He told us they could run a diagnostic on them which only took10 .inutes. The result was the cem 45 pro was ok.The cem25 Gt needed work and in about 40 minutes it could be repaired. The problem was the motors were shot .While we waited in the conference room,they have us refreshments ,and a whole pile of astronomymzgazines to read. Don asked if he could have the newest software downloaded to his mount. He just happened to have it with us so they took it in the back and in 5 minutes he had it done. After paying the bill we were on our way happy and relieved. One thing I did find out if your ioptron mount starts
Giving you a "ra over current on the controler" , check your battery it is on the low end of the voltage. Don and I had a great day. Way to go Ioptron!!
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Ioptron visit

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Sounds like a fun trip, Jerry! Good for you guys 👍
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Thanks Mike ,not only was it good for us but good for the others in the area with Ioptron gear .I caution you to call first. It may take several times to get them but when you do they will give you an RMA number and on the day you want to bring it in.They also have a small display area with their equipment. From some monster size mounts down to the small CEM 25 series mount . I was impressed with their friendly help and advice. Jerry.
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod

Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Thanks for the update Jerry. Confirms the good things I've heard about them.

Myself, I'm still waiting (been a couple months now) for my CEM40EC mount head to arrive. As a new product it's been on back order. The last I heard, it was being QC'd so hopefully should be getting it soon.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Chuck,sorry to say they did not mention anything about a cm 40 but I myself am very interested to see what they did to make it so light but able to before weight My cem 45 eq/as is heavy and so is the tri pier ,not great for a old fart like me!!
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod

mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Chuck,sorry to say they did not mention anything about a cm 40 but I myself am very interested to see what they did to make it so light but able to before weight My cem 45 eq/as is heavy and so is the tri pier ,not great for a old fart like me!!
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod

rickg5783

Unread post by rickg5783 »

One of my mounts is an iOptron pro alt az. mount ( the $1299.00 unit.) So far I am happy with it. It's only been used a few times. I've put the 6" mak-cass on it and the 8" Schmidt-cass as well. Time will tell.
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

mrgizmo65 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 pm Chuck,sorry to say they did not mention anything about a cm 40 but I myself am very interested to see what they did to make it so light but able to before weight My cem 45 eq/as is heavy and so is the tri pier ,not great for a old fart like me!!
Jerry: Yeah, I'm anxious to see how this new mount performs. With a weight of only 15.8lbs, it's rated for a payload of 40lbs, w/o counterweights. When talking with Ioptron tech support, they mentioned that the 40 lb payload capacity was conservative and should easily handle 45 lbs. I have been following a thread on CN in which the OP is using this mount for AP successfully and has 32lbs of equipment and 40 lbs of counterweight. Pretty amazing.

I did receive mine last week but have to finish getting my tripod ready. I ordered an Ioptron mini pier to attach to my old Meade standard field tripod from 1992. I've got the hardware needed to secure it to the tripod head and just need to re-assemble everything and polish the chrome on the tripod legs. Hope to test drive everything in the next month or so.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox