First Light!

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
LGray23

First Light!

Unread post by LGray23 »

Well, not so much "first light" as First Pixels:
http://www.freesql.org/moon.jpg

No this is not an amazing photo at all, but as my dad would say "it's not the fact that the monkey paints well, it's the fact that the monkey paints AT ALL". I'm pretty pleased with myself for (finally) getting this working!

As suggested in this forum, I bought a ccd webcam today and removed the lens as required. I was surprised that I actually had a plastic film container hanging around and it sacrificed itself to be an adapter. Then I took on the software challenge.

While I'm not anti-Microsoft, I have far more linux resources than Windows. I only have linux laptops. I've never worked with third party USB drivers, or Video4Linux as required to get this working in X Windows. It killed the afternoon and I learned a lot (plus I can stream mpegs wirelessly now to this laptop, but thats just gravy :))

Next will be mastering equatorial tracking and image stacking and maybe I'll have something to really crow about !

Gary H.
Dan Chieppa

Unread post by Dan Chieppa »

Hello Gary,
I remember my 1st image obtained with a Meade LPI camera. Very exciting to see the image on my laptop and then being able to "capture" what I was seeing. Very cool stuff. Keep at it! :)
Clear skies,
Dan
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Hi Gary,

Nice work, put's my first attemt to shame! The software out there can be a big help in producing a final image. We have a couple of members who are experienced in this type of imaging, maybe they can be persuaded to give a talk at a meeting on what they do and how they do it. What camera did you get, and what scope do you have?
Bruce D
LGray23

Unread post by LGray23 »

We have an ETX-90 scope and the cam is a Logitech quickcam pro 5000.

I used the driver from Berlios and a simple utility to capture images to a file. I also found that Registax runs very very well under wine in linux.
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Gary,

That image is a lot better than I can do. As Bruce mentioned there are a few astro photographers in the club that could give you some great tips and suggestions. I am always amazed to see peoples astro images and thanks for sharing your moon shot with us...

Paul D...