Miscellanious stuff

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Miscellanious stuff

Unread post by Pete »

Anyone catch the Gemenids on Friday night? The Skyscrapers viewing in Charlestown was canceled, and the sky in Barrington never did clear. High haze & cloud with holes here and there. Around 10 where was a large hole overhead and I sat out for 15 minutes. Caught a very bright greenie that traveled south for about 15°, and a more typical white light meteor of less intensity and duration. Love those colored ones.

Today's Providence Sunday Journal had a front page writeup on light pollution. My friend Bob Napier from Skyscrapers is or was a member of the New England Light Pollution Advisory Group and he's quoted prominently. http://www.projo.com/ri/charlestown/con ... d6251.html

Tomorrow night's supposed to be a clear one and I'm hoping to make the best of it.
Driveways are tough enough to clean off, but getting at a raised dome was a whole new experience. But it's shoveled off and ready. Got a long list of to-dos, including checking drift alignment, checking DEC backlash adjustments that Buddy and I made some time back, attempting to view or image 8P/Tuttle, and possibly imaging some Apollo landing sites.

Oh yeah, anyone planning on tracking Santa this year? I can't seem to find the ephemeris posted anywhere.
Pete P.
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

Pete, I saw a roof rake for clearing snow today a Lowes. I wonder if that would help with the dome? I think the rake weighed something like 3 lbs or so just dont know the price..
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hi Pete,
Great picture of the dome. A bit reminiscent of Devils Tower in Close Encounters.... :D

Thanks for the heads up for tomorrow night's skies. I plan to be out and checking the alignment on my EQ-G, and possibly getting a few shots of the moon. I just want to be out with my scope is all....I know folks can relate to that.

Like yours, skies were hazy here and then downright cloudy Friday night. No Geminids for me. I do hope for a sighting of Tuttle.

Tom
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Galactus »

Tom Wrote:
Great picture of the dome. A bit reminiscent of Devils Tower in Close Encounters....
I knew that shape was familiar...I saw it in my mashed potatoes at dinner...now I have a compulsion to go to Barrington...
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
Dan Chieppa

Unread post by Dan Chieppa »

Pete,
Great photo of the dome. Would spraying the dome with teflon or pam stop the snow from sticking? :lol:
I was out Friday night for about one hour. I saw eight Geminids and updated my earlier Gemini post to reflect the additional activity.
Clear skies,
Dan
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Pete,

I read the newspaper article on the light pollution problem and it was a well thought out and written piece of journalism in my opinion. I really think that ASSNE should take an active part in educating and applying itself to fighting light pollution. Our hobby is at risk from light pollution and each and everyday its just getting worse.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
james and james mceachern

Unread post by james and james mceachern »

i agree paul, my neighbor came over to observe and turned his spotlight on so he could see and i got to teach him about light pollution that night, people just dont realize it
Galactus
15+ Years Member

T'was a very good article and I am appalled at the responses the online article got. Things like "light pollution is a hoax." and "this is the kind of crap Gobla Warming people put out." Sheesh. Don't these people ever look up? Oh, my favorite was: "its not a problem for me. I can see the Milky Way from my yard." :lol: :lol: :lol: Notr if he lives in RI! I honestly think most people have never seen the Milky Way unobstructed by light pollution and wouldn't know the Milky Way if it bit them in the $#%&*@! :twisted:
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

I for one am proud that the town i live in has taken a stand on light polution and turned off most of the street lights. No need to thank me for the noticably darker skys from the sourounding communities. Im glad you all get to benifit from my tax money going to good use.. :twisted:
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Yep. We owe so much to Joe and his accomplishments. From a new Dob tracking system to fewer lights in Dartmouth. We should erect a statue. Wait. In Joe's case, I am not sure that was the correct verb. :lol:
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90