Backyard Astronomy class of 6 Mar 07

Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Backyard Astronomy class of 6 Mar 07

Unread post by Pete »

Tonight is the 5th and final class of the Barrington Community School Winter ’07 Backyard Astronomy course. Dan Chieppa and Ed Costa are coming by to demonstrate their scopes and help out.

The night is dark, clear and crisp….. Actually crisp isn’t the word for 9°F and a 25mph wind but it’ll have to do. Once I’m suited up I step outside and turn on the observatory while Ed is setting up his 6â€
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Pete it sounds like these classes are great, good effort!
Bruce D
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Nice report, Pete.

I wonder if Ed's dob had gotten a bit warm in the car, and was simply suffering from some mirror distortion until it cooled down. Also, if his dob is a long focal length, he would probably get good use out of a nice right angle, correct image finder. Small bucks for a really good piece of equipment.
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

I have to agree with you Bob, chances are that Ed's scope did not have enough cool down time. With a night with temps that low and the dob being in the car for the trip it could take an hour or more to cool down to be able to observe without distortion. Also the fact that its never been collimated may have played a part in it but I am leaning more towards the temp being the problem.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

I think you guys hit the nail on the head when you suggest the scope was warm from the ride in the car, especially when later the scope's image was "tack sharp" Case closed!
BTW I had looked through Ed's scope in the past and was impressed with the view!
Bruce D
Dan Chieppa

Unread post by Dan Chieppa »

Guys,
I have to agree about the cool down period. When I viewed The Beehive through Ed's 6-inch DOB the stars were very sharp, no hint of being out of alignment.
It was a real treat getting to operate Pete's 14-inch SCT. It sure sucks up the photons. :lol:
I had a good time helping out. Aside from the extreme cold and the wind it was a nice night for viewing. Gotta get me warmer boots! :lol:
Clear skies,
Dan
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Dan,

What boots do you have? My Mickey Mouse Boots with arctic socks bought at any sporting goods place kept my feet so toasty on a night where the temp was 6 degrees. My hands got cold before my feet and for me that is VERY unusual. I absolutely love the boot sock combo.. the socks are made to keep sweat off the feet and that's why feet get cold inside a boot because of moisture.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Dan Chieppa

Paul,
You make a good point about the arctic socks. I was wearing a pair of regular socks and had a pair of fleece socks over the first pair. My feet got cold within 90 minutes of standing ouside on the lawn at Pete's house Tuesday night. It did go down to about 12 degrees there.
I'll try some cold weather socks before I invest in another pair of insulated boots. Could it be that simple? :) Thanks for the tip.
Clear skies,
Dan
P.S. I was outside for three hours Wednesday night and my feet got cold standing on my wooden deck. I took warmup breaks every 20-30 minutes and it was fine. It was 20 degrees when I started at 7:30PM and it was 17 degrees when I quit observing at 10:45PM. Great night![/code]
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Dan,
Having dabbled in winter mountaineering in my youth I can tell you the "Mickey Mouse" boots Paul is talking about are available at most any Army Navy surplus store ($40 - $90) are warmer than the double and triple boots that are on the market at much higher prices.
Bruce D
Dan Chieppa

Bruce,
Thanks for the tip about the boots. I bought the 40 degree socks today that Paul mentioned. A local clothing store (Carters) had them. I'll try them out and if my feet still get cold I'll buy a pair of new boots. :lol:
Clear skies,
Dan