August Observer's Challenge - NGC 6772 in Aquila

Observing reports for the current year
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

August Observer's Challenge - NGC 6772 in Aquila

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Observer’s Challenge Report – August 2022 – NGC 6772

August 19th, 2022 – 22:30 EDT;

Several members from the SSAS group try to make an annual pilgrimage each summer to one of the darker sites in New England for some deep sky observing. Hazen’s Notch campground in Lowell, VT is located just ten miles shy of the Canadian border, and there we can find a Bortle 3 sky that on a good night rivals the darkness of the sky at the Texas Star Party. The folks at the campground are super accommodating to us and they do their level best to contain any light pollution that they might be producing, and many of them stop by in the night to take in some views of the cosmos with us. It was here that I would be making my observation for the August Observer’s Challenge, and we were fortunate enough to get some clear skies under which to do it.

I had another fortuitous thing going for me in that earlier this year our club received a donation of a 20” Newtonian reflector telescope, and I happened to be the one to take it to get it up and running for club use. I had that scope with me at Hazen’s Notch.

After about an hour of outreach at the beginning of darkness for the campground folks, I finally got the chance to do a little personal observing and NGC 6772 was one of the targets on my list. The seeing was just OK on this night with a rating of 2/5, but the transparency was decent, which I rated at 3.5/5. The 20” was performing nicely, and after steering the red dot to Al Thalimain Prior (16 Aql, Lambda Aql), I climbed the ladder to start my star hop to NGC 6772.

At a visual magnitude of 12.7, this 1’ sized planetary nebula showed up readily in the big optics. Like a lot of PN’s it appeared to respond favorably to magnification, but I think I stopped short of what it could’ve handled. In some reports that I’ve read, observers using large telescopes have discerned variations in the brightness and shape of the nebula, but in my case it was seen as an even, spherical glow. I found that making my sketch while on the ladder was more daunting than I’d have liked, so that possibly could’ve contributed to my decision to just get it done, as opposed to trying more power.

NGC 6772 McCabe-G.jpg
NGC 6772 McCabe-G.jpg (655.01 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Keep Looking Up!

Mike McCabe
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
daedalus1

Re: August Observer's Challenge - NGC 6772 in Aquila

Unread post by daedalus1 »

Very nice work, Mike. Very nice indeed! A 20" 'scope, and an astronomer's experience. I'm surprised that you did not see any variation in the planetary, but then, why would you? If it is expanding in a uniform way, there would be no variance at all.
Tony T.

Evostar 150mm ED refractor, F1200mm

And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke!
---Rudyard Kipling, THE BETROTHED
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: August Observer's Challenge - NGC 6772 in Aquila

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Hi Tony,

This planetary is somewhat like the Ring Nebula (M57) wherein it has a brighter outer ring with an oval shaped darker core that is easily seen in images, and some visual observers have resolved the outer ring as well. There are two links below. One will take you to the work file at the observers challenge website where so far they've only added the images that have been submitted, and the other will take you to the website of one of the premier visual observers on this planet, Bertrand Laville. I'm not sure how good your French is, but I can usually glean enough understanding from his reports to get the gist of things. He wields a 25" Newtonian from some of the darker sites this world has to offer.

https://rogerivester.com/2022/08/21/ngc ... bject-163/

http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/ngc-6772/dsdlang/fr

***HEY*** I just discovered something at Bertrand's website - you can choose what language it presents - well I'll be darned! :D
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras