LVAS December '17 Challenge, NGC 925

Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

LVAS December '17 Challenge, NGC 925

Unread post by Apollo XX »

For the LVAS December Observer’s Challenge I attempted to observe the galaxy NGC 925 several times. I viewed it with two different telescopes, including 8” and 12.5” Newtonian reflectors.

All of my observations of this galaxy were similar – a very dim, fleeting apparition that never showed me any shape or structure. It didn’t seem to matter whether I was using the 8” or the 12.5”, as with either instrument the view was hurt by the poor transparency of the sky, the light pollution in the sky, or perhaps both.

My frustration with not being able to see this galaxy well led me to research the experience of other observers, and several threads on viewing NGC 925 could be found on the Cloudy Nights forum. I read accounts of people seeing this galaxy in 4” instruments, claims of spiral structure being seen in 10” instruments, and generally a host of accounts that made me question whether or not I was going blind.

Of course I’m not going blind – my sky stinks – with a capital “S”. It’s apparent that NGC 925 is best observed from a dark sky site, the likes of which are typically less accessible for me during the winter. I’ll go back to this object someday when my schedule allows me the freedom to travel to dark places at the appropriate time to view it.

I did the best I could with my drawing to convey how dim 925 was in the eyepiece, but I’m not sure I got there. However I did find that if I stood back about fifteen feet from the computer, that the live eyepiece experience was reasonably replicated. Just keep backing up until you can’t see the faint smudge anymore and there you have it, NGC 925 from my driveway.

Last edited by Apollo XX on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: LVAS December '17 Challenge, NGC 925

Unread post by Bruce D »

Good effort Mike, we work with what we have- props for getting out there!
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Thanks, Bruce! Looking forward to the 2018 LVAS Observer's Challenge list already. It starts off with a very interesting little open cluster up in Perseus that I got to observe on Christmas day. Report forthcoming! :D
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Looking forward to warmer weather- I have zero interest in observing in these temperatures!
Bruce D
TimW

Unread post by TimW »

For me it's not just the temperatures. My usual viewing location is inaccessible with snow on the ground.
Tim W.

Laurie J. Wood
March 22, 1967 - August 23, 2019
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.

Scope: 8" Celestron SCT on an AVX equatorial mount
Solar Scope: Lunt Solar System 60 mm Double-Stacked H-Alpha
Solar Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI174mm monochrome
Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI1600MC-Cool
Autoguide: PHD2
Image Capturing: SharpCap
DebayerIng: PIPP
Planetary Stacking: Autostakkert
Planetary Post Processing: Registax
Deep Sky Stacking: Deep Sky Stacker
Deep Sky Post Processing: Photoshop