Observing the sun Aug 21 2017

Paul D
Secretary

Observing the sun Aug 21 2017

Unread post by Paul D » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Yes I am aware there was an eclipse today. I set up early to prepare for the solar eclipse and while doing so I decided to do some solar observing with my PST.

I have to admit that with all the clouds about I was only expecting small glimpses of the sun. But to my surprise I did get a few moments of clear blue sky which allowed me to actually get some fair visual observing. Unfortunately I was not able to dial in any prominences but I was able to observe two groups of sunspots. The first group was right across the face of the sun AR2671 consisted of 4 major spots with some very obvious filaments and smaller spots around the main spots.

AR2672 was on the western limb of the sun and was comprised of two major spots. Being so close to the limb I was unable to see if there were more than the two spots I observed or if there were any filaments associated with these spots.

Oh and by the way, I observed a 68% solar eclipse today as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Re: Observing the sun Aug 21 2017

Unread post by Stargrrl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Hey Paul, I saw the lager group of sunspots also today very clearly in the masked dob Andy brought to Moose Hill. The moon was in the way of the others. :shock: :o
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Coronado PST
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."