Viewing 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
AndyG
Network Admin

Viewing 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova

Unread post by AndyG »

Has anyone had a chance to observe comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova yet?

This evening after dusk I fired up the mobile comet observatory and sought out the perfect location to line up the comet in a gap between the trees. It was not bright enough to show up in the 50mm finderscope, so it took some scanning around with a low power EP (50x) to find it. I was able to find it eventually and get a good view. No sign of a tail for me, but the head was nice and fuzzy and comet-like.

Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Viewing 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova

Unread post by Bruce D »

The fabled MCO rides again! Good effort Andy!
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Man, I give you credit Andy. I'd heard about this but written it off in my mind due to its low position and the general crappiness of the sky in that direction for me. Now that you've conquered it I have no choice. It's a quest now. Now where did I put that garden wagon? :lol:
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Thanks for the heads-up Andy. I've a great comet viewing location at the end of Acre Avenue (just across the street viewing SW and west across 100 Acre Cove). Zero horizon helps when it's only 17° high. Our next forecast for a clear night is New Years day - Jan 1. Sunset's at 16:25 and I'm hoping to have a giant binocular setup by 17:00 on the crest overlooking the cove.

For some reason or other comets work really well in a binocular. Noticeably better than thru a larger aperture telescope for some reason. Traditionally I love viewing comets with a 15X70 but may haul a mount for the 25X100 or 28X110 down there depending upon energy level.

Anyone like to join me? I'll be posting on the observing invitation section.

Pete
Pete P.
CometLightning

Look to the sky for New Year's Eve Comet next to the Moon

Unread post by CometLightning »

I just found this article this morning about Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova which will be right next to the Moon on New Years Eve.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /95952054/

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-comet-45ph ... ember.html
Clear Skies,

Daniel
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

No joy in viewing 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova

Unread post by Pete »

Setup the 28X110 binoc down over the cove and was blocked by some trees. Drove over to Walker Farm and setup before the 40-hour old rim of the moon disappeared below the low horizon. 45P is centered between Luna and Venus and a touch below. Easy locators. Transparent sky. But damned if I could spot it. Kudos to Andy. This one's a toughie. Won't attempt it on Sunday as originally planned.

Pete
Pete P.
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: Look to the sky for New Year's Eve Comet next to the Moo

Unread post by AndyG »

CometLightning wrote:I just found this article this morning about Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova which will be right next to the Moon on New Years Eve.
Hello CometLightning, thanks for the links and welcome to the ASSNE bulletin board!
Andy
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Since he didn't sign his post (*reminder*) and you all may be wondering who it is - Comet Lightning FYI is Daniel B.

RB
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Here's a nice article about seeing comet 45/P Honda, and it includes a map for Feb/Mar mornings; http://cosmicpursuits.com/1403/a-guide- ... jdusakova/
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks for posting, Mike. I especially liked the Inspiring story about Honda himself.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur