Stellafane Artifact

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Stellafane Artifact

Unread post by NGC7000 »

I was quite concerned that my images were out of focus and trailing on our one clear night, but I was wrong. Here's my first image- I think I will have three or four once I get the time to get to them. But in any case, I'm just so happy I have material to work with!

Here's the Andromeda Galaxy and friends through the AT 66mm AND an F 6.3 FR which means I was shooting at F/4 or so...

8 images @ 4minutes @ ISO 800 processed in Images Plus with Darks and Flats.

The white slice at top left center is a meteor trail.

Tom

Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Stellafane Artifact

Unread post by Bruce D »

Tom that is beautiful! Way to go!
Bruce D
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Tom, that's just incredible! And you were on Earth when
you took it? :shock:

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

WOW! Very impresssive Tom! Thank you for posting it and sharing it with us. Looking forward to your other captures.

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thank you all for the ego- boosting right out of the park comments. For my next song I'd like to play an old NGC tune called the Crescent. It's one of my favorites and I hope it's one of yours too. :lol: This one was shot though the C8- 10 exposures @ 4minutes ISO 800. Darks and Flats and processed in IP.

Tom

Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

And here's another standard, the Trifid M20 in Sagittarius taken through the C8 12 @ 4minutes ISO800. Processed in IP. That southern sky is so fickle and fleeting so anything from there is a keeper. :lol:

Tom H
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Tom as the words on the eves of the pink club house say the heavens declair god's glory, you have captured that glory to share with us, well done, and thank you for sharing it with us.
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Sweet Tom, I don't know which I like better- you got great filament detail in the crescent, and the colors are awesome in the Trifid- nice twofer!
Bruce D
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Geez, Tom, aren't you ever satisfied??? You already have a great M31 in your repertoire, and here you are trying to make it better. Well, maybe you succeeded. You have grabbed a bigger piece of sky here than in your other Stellafane shot (2007? 2008?), but you didn't lose any detail, and the color balance is much more appealing in this shot. But both shots are wonderful. The Crescent always grabs me, and especially when you capture the fine filaments that Bruce mentioned, like the ones on the opposite side of the heavy bow shockwave. Those are often overlooked in this excellent item, but you caught them nicely. I never realized how much the Trifid can look like an angry cat... LOL! Nice color balance there, too. Thanks for all the work.
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks guys..Angry cat? Hmmm...I was just at the Pound in Providence today ( big mistake- I wanted to take ALL of them home with me :roll: ) and I was playing with a few cats, so maybe I was subconsciously inspired. :lol: Comments were much appreciated! :P

Tom
Tom H