LVAS January 2017 Challenge

LVAS January 2017 Challenge

Postby Apollo XX » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:13 pm

For the LVAS January Observer’s Challenge I observed open cluster NGC 1545 on three separate occasions. On December 30th I observed it through my Meade 12.5” Starfinder Dob. On January 1st I observed it again with some fellow observers through an Obsession 18” Dob, and on January 15th I observed through my 4.5” Newt/Dob.

In the 12.5” I saw a pretty gathering of stars dominated by a trio of 7th and 8th magnitude stars in the middle. From this bright triangle at the center, about 40 or so 11th to 13th magnitude stars traced intricate patterns in several directions around the field of view. The view was very similar in the 18”.

In the 4.5” the view was significantly different, with fully half of the stars disappearing and none of the intricate patterns present. In fact, if I didn’t know where I was I doubt that I would mistake what I was seeing for a cluster. It’s not that well represented in a small scope.

NGC 1545 is a good object for medium to large sized amateur instruments.

Mike M.
Apollo XX
Lunatic

Re: LVAS January 2017 Challenge

Postby rjbokleman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:53 am

Mike,

Darn cool if I may say so myself.

I've always admired people who can take what they see in an eyepiece and sketch it out. Not a skill I have nor do I really a desire to develop it at this point, but who knows what the future holds?

I noticed though the text at the bottom referring to the template checked it out. http://homebuiltastronomy.com/downbino/ ... Forms.html

How did Gimp play into the sketching part? Did you have a laptop outside with you during the observation or did you use paper outside and then use Gimp to produce a digital version of your sketch?
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
rjbokleman
Astro Genius

Re: LVAS January 2017 Challenge

Postby Apollo XX » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks Ron! I sketch what I see at the eyepiece on paper, then regenerate the image in Gimp. My work at the eyepiece is generally of low quality, especially when it's really cold outside. It's hard to make small uniform circles with a pencil in a gloved hand. :lol:
Mike M.
Apollo XX
Lunatic

Return to Winter 2016-2017