Book Review: Turn Left at Orion

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Book Review: Turn Left at Orion

Unread post by Paul D »

Ok at this point people are probably saying Paul is reviewing an old book? Well yes and no. Turn Left at Orion was one of my first star hopping books ever. As a matter of fact its the book that I always tell people that they should have in their library. Well at NEAF I was treated to Turn Left at Orion version 2.0 as I will call it.

Version 2.0 is on the left and the original is on the right. First thing that you will notice about the books is the size. 2.0 is larger than the original. 2.0 also is now a spiral bound book which makes it very observing site friendly. Opened up it lays flat and the bigger pages make reading and using this book while observing a lot easier.

What sold me on this book is not only that its bigger but now it has many many more new targets that the original didn't have. The original is 224 pages and 2.0 is 258 pages. May not seem like a lot but there are a ton of new objects and new info that is not in the original.

Finally as mentioned above the pages are large and very user friendly. This book has many common objects that all new people to this hobby should see and will continue to see as long as they are in this hobby. I cannot say enough about this book. It has been one of my favorites and now with version 2.0 out has renewed itself again as my favorite book. Make no mistake, this book is not for just beginners. It is for everyone and can give you more than enough objects to observe in a night.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Re: Book Review: Turn Left at Orion

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Hi Paul I can count myself fortunate that a friend lent me a copy of the original and it was so interesting I had a hrd time putting down. It was very complete and explained to the newbie how to go about finding your way around the night sky. I have heard mann people mention and recomend this book, Now, I am please that they took a great book and made it better. Thank you for the review Jerry :P :P
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
RobCos
15+ Years Member

Unread post by RobCos »

Excellent review Paul. I'm REALLY glad we picked them up at Neaf. It's been REALLY improved. You don't often get to say that when a book such as this is updated. Usually improvements are minor-but not in this case. I found it great that the authors went out and freshly found every object all over again.
Lacking a witty and/or insightful signature line i'll just say "WHO'S YOUR DADDY!?"
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Udating the book is great then to top it off with a spiral binding makes it eve easier to use. What is the selling price Paul?? :P :P
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Jerry,

You can get it from Amazon for $20.47 plus shipping. just click on the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052115 ... d_i=507846
Paul...

Pre-Meade PST

NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Nice review, Paul. Now that I am using the Astrotrac more often, which does not have GoTo. I have to rely on star hopping, and sometimes it's pretty frustrating.

Glad you took the time to put this on the board.

I'll be picking up a copy. Anybody want to buy version 1.0?
Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Thanks Paul! Great to see this is now finally spiral bound, as well as revised. I will need to get a copy. :)

I have the original and enjoy it, it's a great book for both people new to stargazining and who want to be reminded of objects they may not have looked for in a long time (or ever). But I was always frustrated by it not being field-friendly.

I think you might start something, I'm tempted to post reviews of my favorite "go to" bino books.

Rebekah
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Thanks Tom and Rebekah and all.

I am a bookworm at heart and really enjoy the brain food that they supply me with. I do plan on doing more book reviews in the future not only for the old members of the club but the new members who may be as confused as I once was with the sky. I am also glad that my interest in books has sparked some of the members interest in the same books. I figured I would try a few books for review and if there was no interest in my reviews I would stop.

I know current technology favors tablets and computers but I guess I am like Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Next Generation who always favored the feel of a book in his hand as opposed to a tablet. Best thing about books is I don't have to worry about my batteries running dry or damaging a screen.

So with all that being said be prepared for more book reviews. Some old books and some more recent books. Some books that imagers may like simply because of the challenge objects they offer and books that everyone can use and should own.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Paul...

Pre-Meade PST

Stargrrl
Treasurer

Unread post by Stargrrl »

I feel the same way you do Paul - I am a longtime book collector and could not imagine a room without books in it. I can understand the appeal of e-readers (such as for traveling), but for myself I find these devices too sterile, they take something away from the pleasure of reading. Not to mention that I spend all my work time on a computer -- reading on a screen on top of that isn't fun! Rebekah
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/reading-books

...and I agree, not just reading, but having books in hand and in my room are something I can't do without.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur