A LOVELY ALIGNMENT

A LOVELY ALIGNMENT

Postby Rotorhead » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Man, I also hate to see a seasonal observing report forum with no reports, or even just one. I guess that's a real commentary on our weather.

Tonight I went out with binos, since the wind is still howling over my way, and took in the 45 degree-wide almost straight line of Jupiter near the horizon, Mercury about three degrees above and to the left, and Venus and the Moon showing nearly identical crescents about fifteen degrees apart. Running Starry Night, I can see that Venus is actually about half lit, but that's not how she looked in the binos. A near-perfect visual definition of the plane of the ecliptic. The Galilean moons were also in line with Venus and the moon, but a bit off from Mercury, probably something to do with the hundreds of millions of miles between the two nearly-conjuncted planets! :?

Well, it's still blowing hard enough to knock a scope over out there, but at least it is a crystal clear dark sky, and the stars are glittering - which is a nice sight as long as you aren't actually trying to observe them!

Well, it's only the first day of the year, but so far, so good. Here's to some real observing, real soon. :D Time to tuck this seasonal thread to bed, and open the Winter 2009 forum. May it have more than two entries by the time Spring arrives!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
6" f8 Celestron C6R w/Hypertuned CGEM
4" f13 Gibson Homebuilt Refractor
22x100 Antares Binos/'Pete's Pipes' mount
_________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Rotorhead
Space Shot

Postby NGC7000 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:52 pm

AH, Bob. Great to see the report. I stood otside tonight taking in the beauty of the winter sky, but decided it was just too cold and windy for any extended session. Yeah, I look forward to some good observing in the weeks ahead.

Tom
Hardly do we divine the things that are on earth, and the things that are close at hand we find with labour, but the things that are in the heavens, who ever yet traced out? - Wisdom of Solomon: 9-16
NGC7000
Lunatic

Return to Fall 2008