Unsung Heroes of the Deep Sky

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unsung Heroes of the Deep Sky

Unread post by Paul D »

I wasn't sure where to put this topic because its really not an observing report. So I decided that here would be the best place to put it. Let me start by saying about a week and a half ago I was wanting to get out and observe. I had a long week at work and just needed to get under the stars. I loaded up my scope and headed out. The night was far from perfect and it was quite discouraging with clouds moving in and out the whole time. Call if whatever you want, but the whole night clouds never enveloped Cassiopeia. So I decided that that's where I would point my scope. Of course just south of Cassiopeia was the double cluster which I had to start out with. I was using my Parks 10" and under low magnification both clusters fit nicely. I stopped for a moment and just looked at all the stars. All the differently colored stars and thought that the many times I have looked at these two clusters, I never really looked at them. I was marveling at the sight of them, really examining the clusters and they are beautiful

I then Moved up to Cassiopeia and looked at another cluster, commonly called the owl or ET cluster. Again I stopped to really examine the cluster and marveled at the differences between this cluster and the double clusters. The shape, the density of stars and mostly the colors. The double cluster had many more varied color of stars than the ET cluster. On to my next cluster which is known as the White Rose also in Cassiopeia. This cluster was far different than the other two consisting mostly of orange and yellow stars mixed with a few white and blues. Again I never really stopped to look at these open clusters like I was this night.

Throughout the night I visited many more clusters in Cassiopeia and really took the time to examine them and not just move on to the next cluster. I looked at both large and small clusters, groups of clusters as seen in NGC 146,133 and King 14 all in the same eyepiece. I was really having a great time with these clusters.

My whole point of this is next time your out and look up an object and find out its an open cluster, don't just say "Oh its only an open cluster" give it a chance, really look at it and examine it. After all there is a reason why NGC 4755 is called the Jewel Box. So here is to open clusters, the unsung heroes of the deep sky.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Re: Unsung Heroes of the Deep Sky

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Paul, thanks for posting your experience. I understand what you are talking about when you say there is a difference between looking and then really looking. Every time I observe a subject , there is allways something new I found in that subject. It seems to be never ending the little details that come out. It's like seeing it for the first time. Thanks for sharing your experience, Jerry
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Ditto to what Jerry said. It's sorta my reasoning to getting into astrophotography. At some point, I'd like to get images of all my favorite DSO's to share with friends and family. The detail that can be seen in even amateur images is far greater than through the eyepiece. Don't get me wrong, I too still like to do some visual observing. However, many times in the past, when letting friends and family take a look at something through the eyepiece, they react with it just a bunch of white dots or just can't seem to get the hang of properly looking through the eyepiece. I think they would appreciate the images more, as would I. The exceptions to the former are the Moon and planets of course, everyone always enjoys those.

Again, thanks for sharing Paul.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Nice report Paul...I always enjoy that area. Did you see M52? And Chuck, you are so right, I don't know how many times I had for example M13 in the eyepiece and non astro people would not be impressed and start to look at their watch. We amateur astronomers are a special group you know :P
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Frank,

I did and while I was there at M52 I observed one of my favorites. The Bubble, its one object that doesn't get enough attention in my mind. Under the right conditions having them both in the same field of view is a treat.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)