The Naked Red Spot

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

The Naked Red Spot

Unread post by BobSikes »

As predicted by Arthur C Clarke, Jupiter has done "something wonderful" in 2010. The southern equatorial band is gone! Not as dramatic as the movie, but then we haven’t yet sent the mission to land on Europa yet. Still in the planning stages.

So as a challenge, look at Jupiter and 1) notice there is only one equatorial band, and 2) spot the naked GRS.

In smaller scopes, the GRS can appear as only a divot in the southern band, but with no southern band … will it be more, or less obvious.

Check this out

http://www.celestronimages.com/details. ... ge_id=6995

This fine image gives us a hint, so why not get out there and see for yourself.

A great tool for figuring out when the GRS is visible can be found here. The image shows the old Jupiter, with two bands and the spot. And upside down. Scroll down for the calculator

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observin ... 04091.html

Click the Initialize to Today button and you will see local times when the DST in on Jupiter’s meridian. Then change the date day by day until you find a time when the GRS is well placed, Jupiter is above your horizon, and it’s night. And there’s no clouds.

When it is cloudy, may I suggest a movie. “2010: The year we made contact”
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: The Naked Red Spot

Unread post by Apollo XX »

I'd say "more", based on my observations thus far. Using the utility @ S&T.com, I've gotten out at the right time twice thus far, and have seen the GRS both times in my 4.5" reflector. The first time I viewed it I didn't use any filters, but the second time I used an 80a blue filter and I'd say that it definitely enhanced the GRS. I also tried a green filter, but can't say it was much better than no filter. One caveat here; being a "rookie" observer, I have no substantial experience viewing Jupiter otherwise, so can't really say if it's easier to see the GRS with no SE band or not. I guess I'll just keep looking 'till it comes back and see what's what. :P
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Nice going, Mike! If you have one, try any shade of yellow filter on the GRS (#12 is best) or orange (#21). I like the results of the yellow, but the orange filter is the traditional GRS filter. I just find orange a bit too dark.
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Mark G
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Mark G »

I like my Minus Violet filter with my Newtonian on Jupiter. Yah I know I'm odd. :lol:
Clear skies,

Mark

iOptron CEM25P w/ Tri-pier
CGEM DX
LXD750 w/ CDS #1697
LXD75 w/ #497 autostar Hypertuned
Antares 8" f/5 Newt
Antares 4" f/15 "Vixen Spec" long focus refractor
Orion 4" f/7 ED refractor
Astro-Tech 65mm Quad APO
and so much more
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

I'll try the yellow filter the next time I go for the GRS. Was observing Jupiter tonight, and the moons were doing an awesome dance all on one side of the planet. That system is just freaking cool! I don't know if I'm imagining things, but is the SE belt starting to make a return? They say it could happen rather quickly when it does.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

ASSNEman1 wrote:I like my Minus Violet filter with my Newtonian on Jupiter. Yah I know I'm odd. :lol:
Wow, Mark, that NEVER would have occurred to me... What does it do???
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

For those who don't want to go to the utility;

GRS Transits that work well time-wise for our region in the next week - Tonight, 8/27, midnight to 1:00am+Sat
Monday, 8/30, 10 to 11pm
Wednesday, 9/1, 11:30pm to 12:30amThurs
Monday, 9/6, 10:30pm to 11:30pm

Of course there are other times for those folk that like the wee WEE hours, and there's one predicted for 9:30pm on the 4th of Sep, but Jupiter hasn't been high enough on my horizon at that time yet. It may work for someone with a low eastern horizon. And, the 10 day forecast shows nothing but clear clear clear so far, so have at it. The GRS awaits your gaze. :P
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Rotorhead wrote:
ASSNEman1 wrote:I like my Minus Violet filter with my Newtonian on Jupiter. Yah I know I'm odd. :lol:
Wow, Mark, that NEVER would have occurred to me... What does it do???
Mark had me try this on Jupiter one night at his house and what it does is brings out major detail in Jupiter. It seems to seperate all those zones that seem to run into each other and dim the overall brightness without hurting the quality of you observation. I use the Sirus Minus Violet filter Bob.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Just in from observing Jupiter and the GRS. Experimented with various filters as per suggestions. Tried yellow and orange, but still found that the blue brought out the spot more for me. However, I then tried my Antares ALP filter, and this BY FAR outperformed any of the color filters for bringing out the spot and increasing band contrast. The difference was incredible. Now I don't know if this was because of the very close proximity of the moon and the resulting excessive glare, but the ALP filter really made a difference tonight. In fact it was huge. It was one of those moments where you might say "I don't care what that thing cost me, right now it is worth every penny". And not that it cost much, but I'm sure glad I took the initiative some time back to go ahead and get it, because tonight it made all the difference.
Dark Helmet
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Dark Helmet »

Try using a variable polarizing filter if you have one. That seems to do the trick for me. Also, blue and green filters help as well. Both these filters will work for a newtonian or SCT scope....

Matt
Baddeck - Cape Breton
Nova Scotia
Matt P.
WHAT? You went over my helmet?.....Ludicrous speed, go!