The Naked Red Spot

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: The Naked Red Spot

Unread post by Bruce D »

Matt I had one of those variable filters out the other night for the moon, never thought to use it on Jupiter. Help! My thinking is stuck in the box and I can't get out! :lol: :lol:
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Triple Phenomona Awesomenimity!

Have had Red Spotitis for about a month now, I was out tonight grabbing a dose of antidote when I stumbled upon a situation that caused my antennae to twitch; At just before 11:30 our time, the red spot had not quite left the field of view when I gazed upon the opposing side of the planet and what to my wondering eye should appear but the shadow of Io beginning its transit with Io still visible and just kissing the disk. This view only lasted a few minutes as the red spot moved around the corner and Io began its transit, leaving just the shadow to entertain the audience.

Hey, I thought it was cool. :mrgreen:
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Mike, shadows of the transit of Jupiter's moons is one of the coolest things up there. Welcome to the club.

Pete
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

petep wrote:Welcome to the club.

Pete

Thanks, Pete! I agree the transiting shadow is cool. The sharp black dot against the pale backround just stands out so vividly. What made last night so special was that the moon itself was a little glowing gold orb that appeared attached to the side of the planet for a few minutes there. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Nice catch Mike .It all ways amazes me how some of the more stunning views are caught quite by accident. The most favorite one of mine is the famous earthrise photo I believe that was taken by Jim Lovell on apollo 10. That has to be the ultimate "being at the right place at the right time. Looking forward to my our astro outing this upcoming week end.
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49