The Other Double-Double of Lyra

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Re: The Other Double-Double of Lyra

Unread post by BobSikes »

As BobM mentioned, the ODD has nice color contrast compared to the DD.

I was out a couple of nights ago and the ODD really jumps out at you when you spot it. If you compare it with Eps Lys1,2, the two initial stars are very far apart, not really a double star. What makes this group interesting are the wide Double Doubles, nice and colorful.

I tried to split this with binoculars 10X50s. No luck, but I was hand holding it. Someone should try mounted binocs and see if ODD is a binocular Double Double.

BobS
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: The Other Double-Double of Lyra

Unread post by Apollo XX »

O/K, so I got out there last Friday night with the intention of nailing this sucker (along with some other objects) and I point the scope in the general direction of the object in question...first to Lyra, then DD, split DD, off to Gamma Lyr, a little up and left, scanning with 30x, hmmmm. O/k, there's two pairs - widely split at 30x. Maybe he's talking about one of these pairs being another DD? Crank up the magnification - no splits there. Back to DD - 150x, clean splits, the pairs virtually perpindicular to each other, not a lot of color differences. Back to the suspected duo - 30x, wide splits, angle of the pairs to each other closer to 45*, very pretty color contrasts, but ramp up the power and one pair or the other leaves the field! I am so glad you came clean on the spacing of these babies. I had a lot of fun scoping them out, and now that I know that it was what it is we was looking for, I'm even happier!

Now if only everything in the universe would align so I could catch craterlets Collins and Aldrin...that challenge has left me gasping again and again. Only once in the past six months have the conditions been such that the seeing and lighting have come together to allow carefull study of the region in my modest scope, and even then only Armstrong would reveal itself. But then if it was easy, what would this section be called? Whatzup Piece Of Cake? :roll:
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras