Globe at Night Challenge

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Globe at Night Challenge

Unread post by BobSikes »

From March 16 to March 28, the 2009 Globe at Night Event is underway. The purpose is to collect sky darkness data from all over the planet, and have fun. Visit the web site http://www.globe.gov/GaN/index.html for details, but it’s certainly easy and fun to do. Just go out about an hour after sunset (7-10pm) and find Orion. Compare what you can see naked eye to the sky charts they provide to estimate limiting magnitude. Then submit your report. They have a handy web page which even calculates your longitude and latitude if you don’t know it.

Then you can see your dot and report online, immediately through their cool map. A nice activity for you and your family.

I see my dot. Where’s yours? Mine is in Stoughton, just NW of the Rt 24 label. On Tuesday it was nice and clear, but I could see only 4 belt stars in Orion and one sword star. Sigh, a Mag 4 report. Which is pretty good for Stoughton. :cry:

Let’s see if ASSNE can put a bunch of dots in SE New England during the International Year of Astronomy 2009. Don’t forget the kids, this is a good and well timed activity for them to do. Please post some descriptions of your observation session on our board to help inspire others to ...Get out and observe :D

And if your out and about, down at East Beach or Frosty Drew (with a Frosty Brew?) or wherever, make an observation from there too and submit it when you get home. The more the merrier.

BobS
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

I made an entry this morning from Little Compton. Last night we had mag 6 skies out there, for sure over the water, and mag 5+ over land. Since Orion was far out to sea, his mag 6 skies were the ones I reported.
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Nice skies!

I see it!

Good going Bob. I didn't realize that Little Compton was where it is or I might have guessed it was you.

Come on ASSNE! Let's dot the map this weekend when the skies clear.

BobS
NGC891
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC891 »

I just entered an observation for tonight. :)
- BrianT
rose
Secretary

Unread post by rose »

Jacquelyn and I posted a report tonight above our house in Rehoboth Massachusetts. We had mag 4 skies.
Rose A.
Meade 6" LXD55 scope on lx200 tripod with a unistar light mount
8"Meade LX200 Classic scope on a Bresser EXOS2 Goto mount
james and james mceachern

Unread post by james and james mceachern »

done from south walpole MA
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

I almost forgot to report from my house. Mag 4, and that was being generous...
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Rich S stopped by tonight while I was out under the dome, and once the camera was set up and imaging we stepped outside to try our hand.

Mag 4 was easy, but I couldn't make out all of the Mag 5 stars. So I'm at 4 1/2? Anyway if those silly map dots ever refresh there's a Mag 4 dot over Barrington.

Pete
Pete P.
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Last Call

Good going folks!

And even though the skies aren't cooperating, anyone who hasn't posted still has until the 28th to "count the stars" in Orion's belt and post them online.

I noticed that the map doesn't display all the dots, so SE mass looks nearly dotless at the moment. I think all the dots will show up when the final map is posted.

BobS