Jupiter Meets Venus - How Close will they go?

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

1 Dec 08 I was out around 15:15, and Luna & Venus were bright and high in the fading daylight. Eventually the sky darkened enough to reveal Jupiter, and I started snapping images on Dave's DSLR.

Since I wasn't at all famaliar with the camera I used automatic settings and snapped away.

Luna to the left, Jupiter to the right, and Venus centered and low. Nikon DSLR with zoon lens set at approximately 100mm when you scale in the small chip factor. Camera on tripod but in auto mode.

Same setup zoomed up to around 200mm or so:

Paul's image is far superior, probably because mine are overexposed. Very nice job Paul.

Pete
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice pictures everyone! The 'pile of rocks' thing didn't work for me at all... my tripod is in the 'pod'.

It was awesome to see, and thanks to seeing the Moon early and knowing where Venus would be I was able to see the planet at 3:20 PM, the first time I've seen it in daylight. It was quite a while before I could also see Jupiter.
Bruce D
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Wow guys! It's fantastic to see so many perspectives!! Everyone did it right!! I think this conjunction tripled our number of imagers! :D
Bob, how right you are; we lucked out cloudwise. It poured here soon after the clouds settled in.
I guess no one else had to do the dishes after supper. :oops:

Bill
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Guys,

Dishes are done; here's my take. BTW, congratulations everyone. We did it! We beat the New England weather for a change!! :D :D Great shooting!

Bill

Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Bill, you're right, this was fun and got everyone out with their cameras. I must say, though, that your two shots here are very 'artsy' with the clouds and moonshine. Nice!

It never rained here, but Maureen was up at LaSalette with the grandkids, and she said it poured in Seekonk on the way home. New England has to have the oddest weather in the world. It is clear out here in Tiverton right now.... :roll:
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

Im going on the record to say that i hate workig nights.I miss everything.I wonder if i could get CrappleBee's to put in sky lights in the kitchen. Thanks to everyone for posting the great pics.
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Galactus »

Computer's been down...laptop woudn't charge...holding it in odd position...typing one handed...to keep power charging...photos wide field...and thtu AT66...to follow...not even downloaded from camera.., the conjunction was lovely and fun... 8)
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Sorry to here of your computer problems George. We were wondering where you were. Glad to know you got to witness the conjunction. Good luck!

Bill
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Galactus »

OK, Got the computer charged enough to post a few so-so photos and make a few comments...

First, I observed for the entire time with the AT66 and 40mm EP and had the entire conjunction in the FOV--Wow! Beautiful and Better than the 10X50s Bino views! But, unfortunately, upon attaching the camera, the FOV shrunk a bit with a tad more Magnification, only the moon and Venus were visible:

By gnhuftalen

However, I did like how the Mare show up in the Earthshine on the dark part of the moon in the image above...too bad I couldn't image the actual FOV I was experiencing visually! It was a lovely sight and reveals a lot about how we observers are wired differently and enjoy this hobby...

I also enjoyed setting up the camera on the tripod with no magnification...the result below:

By gnhuftalen

So many of my images thru the AT66 were blurry due to the wind and the flimsy tripod... I could have used the mirror lockup to help a little but it was quite bright around 4:00 PM when I got all three in binos whilst Venus and Luna were only visible naked eye...I was losing light but everything was quickly moving into trees... God. It was so peaceful out, watching this spectacle...My Mom who usually eschews this sort of thing told me when I came in that she came to the back stoop behind me to see the conjunction and watch me and she thought it "quite pretty..." She also told me I looked "happy out there... :lol: "

It was a peaceful, Heavenly Gift that made me feel free and the weather was mild and pretty...I had been under the weather earlier in the day with mild food poisoning that delayed my return to work this week for a brief stint to help get work out before the Holidays and to make some Christmas cash... It was a delightful respite before having to get on a schedule again...I am so glad to see that so many of us got to enjoy the experience and to image it... :wink: :)
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Hi George,

I like the wide shot best. Nice ground cover.
Did you use your self-timer on the camera to minimize camera movement?
Just a thought, when you mentioned blur etc. and didn't mention how you were tripping the camera.

'quite pretty...' She also told me I looked 'happy out there...'
George I find these words very moving.
I see a mom looking out in the yard at her son, who has found peace on Earth in the sky, and is pleased at the sight. It's a nice image.

Bill :wink:
Last edited by WCGucfa on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.