Jupiter Meets Venus - How Close will they go?

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Jupiter Meets Venus - How Close will they go?

Unread post by BobSikes »

Look Southwest at sunset and the two bright stars you see will be Venus and Jupiter. As the month progresses they will get closer and closer together. How close ...? I'm not telling. You'll have to keep watching to know.

Log your reports. How close together are they each week. You can use you hands to measure the distance in degrees. (see http://www.geocities.com/angolano/Astro ... inSky.html)
Also, slap that digital camera on a tripod and you should be able to image these bright objects for more accurate measurements.
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

I'll start an entry here and edit it as the conjunction progresses.

Sunday November 9, 17:30 - Jupiter and Venus are exactly one hand width, with thumb and pinky fully spread, at full arm's length. This is about 20 degrees, although Starry Night says 21.30.

November 10 (233d birthday of the United States Marine Corps!!!) 17:30 - By hand measurement, very little change noted. Starry Night says 20 degrees 30' so that means about a 1 degree change in 24 hours. I'm going to have to calibrate my hand a bit better.... :?
Last edited by Rotorhead on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Galactus »

Sunday, November 9 from the post-game tailgate session at the parking lot after the Patriots-Bills game.

Despite a periodically cloudy sky, the second,third and fourth most bright objects in the sky (Luna, Venus and Jupiter respectively) moved through the southwestern sky shortly after sunset. I concur with Bob's seperation assessment and the Moon was high in the southern sky... fellow tailgaters were amazed that they could see planets so easily...
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Venus and Jupiter - 10/10/08 @ 5:00pm

Unread post by BobSikes »

This evening, I have them separated by two fingers more than I can spread my thumb and pinky, or about 22 degrees. BobM must have more hand flexibility. You go guy!

I was cutting the lawn when both first were visible. My plan was to run in and grab the camera. These babies are going to may for some great digital sunset/star conjunction pictures.

But, of course, by the time I was done mowing, a huge bank of clouds rolled in.

Maybe tomorrow I have a good shot.

BobS
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

George Wrote:
Sunday, November 9 from the post-game tailgate session at the parking lot after the Patriots-Bills game.

Despite a periodically cloudy sky, the second,third and fourth most bright objects in the sky (Luna, Venus and Jupiter respectively) moved through the southwestern sky shortly after sunset. I concur with Bob's seperation assessment and the Moon was high in the southern sky... fellow tailgaters were amazed that they could see planets so easily...
George, from the parking lot of the Pats game? Are you sure those were planets and not the lights in the parking lot? I have to ask because I know you didnt have your Go-To SCT to confirm it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Galactus »

Paul D wrote:George Wrote:

George, from the parking lot of the Pats game? Are you sure those were planets and not the lights in the parking lot? I have to ask because I know you didnt have your Go-To SCT to confirm it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, Paul, I even found the moon without Go-To! :lol: :lol: :lol: Gee, I must be a real astronomer!
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

You guys are too much. :lol: . Whats go-to?
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.
BigWingBoy

Unread post by BigWingBoy »

Joe, 'go-to' is short for a 'go-to scope'...that is, a scope that uses a computer and electricity to assist in locating celestial objects. Not like REAL men and women who LEARN the sky and PUSH our scopes hither and yon.

:twisted:
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

Gene..sshhh dont tell anyone but i own a go-to.It never go to's the right object and i refuse to believe its operator error.
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.
BigWingBoy

Unread post by BigWingBoy »

K...mums the word. Just between you and me. Don't want to bruise any egos here. heh.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: