Not Vespa ... Vesta is motoring through the sky

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Great Recording, Bill. I find this all very exciting. Thank you for the inspiration.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Nice indeed Bill. With a moving object I always find it helpful to have a second later comparison image - not only to prove the object but to provide a sense of the rate of movement. My Gosh, Vesta sure is relatively bright against the background, isn't it. Who would have thunk it?

Pete
Pete P.
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Thanks for the kind input guys.

I'd like to try this again on nights of better seeing. I checked the focus over and over but still didn't get the star images I was trying for. The drive was a little hinky too, but I didn't want to waste precious capture time on trying to get the scope's balance a little closer to perfect.
On the first night seeing was bad as I could see the points of light were scintillating during the 30s exposure (ISO 200, f/2.0).
The second night, I had a continuous cloud band to my south threatening only six degrees below my target. Luckily it held off until I quickly got my second image. It was a close one, for sure.

But Vesta is kind of egg shaped anyway (I like to think)!

Bill
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Yeah, just like an omelet. 8)
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
BigWingBoy

Unread post by BigWingBoy »

Omelette? Bacon? Pancakes?

:D