Here Comes Andromeda!

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Here Comes Andromeda!

Unread post by BobSikes »

A boring constellation, but a fine galaxy. Though it will get higher and in a darker sky as we move into late Summer/Fall. Who will be first to log it this year?

To find it, binoculars are great for this if its dark enough, first find the Great Square of Pegasus. Then find the horse's rear legs which are also the nice lady's body (confusing I know) and then above the horse's knee/lady's belly button, you should see a fuzzy spot.

That spot in the binoculars or finder is the 31st object Messier cataloged - M31. The closest major galaxy to our own Milky Way galaxay. And getting close every day!
Here's a good reference http://www.seds.org/MESSIER/m/m031.html

Who can spot the spot and log it first this year?
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Well this was totally unexpected but this morning at 3:22am I awoke to search for comet C\2007 W1 Boattini. Still a bit early to start my search I look up and Andromeda is almost at zenith and the Andromeda Galaxy is naked eye.

I use my Meade 10x50's and pinpoint the Andromeda Galaxy M31. Being at almost zenith it appears bright and rather large for a bino object. Yes this is actually the first time I ever looked at M31 with binos. I was amazed that I was able to see the core with the oval extentions extending well beyond the core. I was not able to see any of its companion galaxies but I did realize that obseving Messiers may actually be fun with a pair of binos.

AL Bino club, here I come. Well maybe after I am done a few other clubs that I have already started that is.. :D
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Galactus »

Wow! Binos and M31 managed to do what so many have tried at but failed: to pry Paul's fingers off his dob! This is exactly how I felt looking at the M8 and all of the Saggitarius/scorpio region with my 10X50s at MSSF earlier this summer. I have already started my Bino Messier Club and am going for the Messier Telescope Club as well. I hope to finish the M Bino club by this fall and the M Telescope club whenever in the next year or two.

But I agree, Paul. When M31 is visible naked eye, so much of its stucture is evident in the wide field of a pair of 10X50s! I have been observing two or three times a week with the 10X50s since MSSF and the AL Bino Messier Club is a big part of my Stellafane Observing Plan!

Bob Wrote:
Who can spot the spot and log it first this year?
Me! I logged it after MSSF:
Find the full report here: viewtopic.php?t=1371

Next to M8 The Lagoon and Trifid (M20) in the same FOV! Then up and over (N&E) to M23 and M24 ( know why it is called the Sagittarius Star Cloud) So Bright! North to (this was a surprise) a bright M17 Swan Nebula and up further to M16, the Eagle! Wow! I have never seen any nebulosity in M20 or M16 and M17 and M8 are dim and I can barely see the shape at home! I can see the hood of the Eagle!

Farther North and East I find the Wild Duck Cluster (one of my favorites in a telescope) and see more shape in the Binos! Looking at the charts, all of these objects look close to each other but they are in such a wide swath of sky! There is also so much nebulosity in Sag that I really want to find other Messier Objects with my binos. Paul is oohing and ahhing near me with his dob I ask what he is observing and he tells me Jupiter and to take special notice of the banding. He is right, the view is amazing and one of the better views of Jupiter I've seen, but I can only take a quick peek as it is so bright!

I need to take a bathroom break and head North on the road, looking up at the Milky Way, experiencing dustlanes throughout Cygnus. The bathroom was bright and ruined my light adaptation and the dustlanes have disappeared on the way back to the group on the road. Although my light sensitivity has improved a bit when I return, I am disappointed at the view of The Witches Broom and the Waterfall in Joe's dob that were fantastic earlier. The skies are seeing moisture again and I bag my last Messier of the night. The guys are mentioning M31 which I was looking for naked eye on the way back from the bathroom. I know where it should be and train my binos toward that area and bang! Right on target although I couldn't make it out naked eye. I can definitely make out more of a shape here in the binos than I can concentrating on the core in the telescope.
Bob Also Wrote:
...To find it, binoculars are great for this if its dark enough...
Actually, Bob, although darkness is definitely a big factor in observing M31 naked eye, I have found the galaxy to be a fairly easy find in 10 X 50s even in my heavily light polluted skies...
I have been checking on M31 with my binos since MSSF on every clear night... :wink:

Is this Fava Bean-able?
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Actually, George, my log entry was senior on that same thread, and I logged M31 first. I'M NOT GOING TO SHARE MY MONOPOLY ON FAVA BEANS!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Galactus
15+ Years Member

:shock: :x Arggh! I went back to the thread and I apologize. Before posting on this thread earlier I very quickly scanned your post opening that thread and I missed your mention of M31.

By all means you should defend and defend your primacy in the quest for Fava Beans! (shaking fist at the sky) First the bunny now this! You are a formidable foe Colonel, and I bow my head to you. But watch your back on these postings! :twisted: :lol:
Last edited by Galactus on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
Rotorhead
Life Member

Aviators always cover their six o'clock. Bring it on.

The winner gets all the fava beans.... :D
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Galactus
15+ Years Member

ROTFLMAO! :lol: :wink: Clear Sky Chart says after 11:00, we'll see nothing for at least a day...but when you least expect it, diving out of the sun...The Bald Eagle! :lol:
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
Rotorhead
Life Member

Not the BALD RABBIT????
Bob M