Virgo Galaxy Cluster - April 2008

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Virgo Galaxy Cluster - April 2008

Unread post by BobSikes »

Let Play Count the Galaxies
Once we get the Moon out of the way, with binoculars or a telescope of any size you'll see plenty of galaxies off the tail of Leo. Count them and tell us what you see. Who can bag the most?
Rating:
Virgo Cluster: Easy Easy to see at least the brightest 2 or 3 galaxies with binoculars and fairly dark skies. The trick is to know where to look. First you find Leo, then his tail and then use this chart and go craxy looking for fuzzies: http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/virgo-cluster.htm
Here a great link to show you what you might see http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/galgrps/vir.html (In Bob M's scope maybe)
Mark G
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Mark G »

Bob M, Joe B, & gave the Virgo cluster a shot tonight. Several days of a large high pressure system sitting over us, just couldn't be resisted even with a 92% illuminated Moon!

The Moon & some upper level moisture played havoc with seeing many of the Virgo cluster galaxies tonight. But M 84, and an almost invisible M86 were seen in the 2" W70 34 mm at 119.5x.

So the easily beatable ASSNE Virgo cluster galaxy count is officially started at 2! :lol: :lol: Who will be the first to beat this count visually, and when? :?: Photos are nice too! :wink:
Last edited by Mark G on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clear skies,

Mark

iOptron CEM25P w/ Tri-pier
CGEM DX
LXD750 w/ CDS #1697
LXD75 w/ #497 autostar Hypertuned
Antares 8" f/5 Newt
Antares 4" f/15 "Vixen Spec" long focus refractor
Orion 4" f/7 ED refractor
Astro-Tech 65mm Quad APO
and so much more
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Bob S wrote: [quote]Here a great link to show you what you might see http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/galgrps/vir.html (In Bob M's scope maybe)

I just noticed the little addendum you put on that link, Bob. :) For what it's worth, my personal record for the Virgo cluster is nine galaxies in one FOV. And that was from my own yard, which has mag 5.5 skies on a good night. But that was not within the timeframe of this current challenge, and I was observing alone, so I'll not claim it. Perhaps after the full moon is gone, some of us could trek to Pardon Gray Preserve and see what we can see... finding an eyeful of galaxies is much more fun when you can pass the view to some observing buddies.
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Mark G
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Mark G »

Rotorhead wrote:Perhaps after the full moon is gone, some of us could trek to Pardon Gray Preserve and see what we can see... finding an eyeful of galaxies is much more fun when you can pass the view to some observing buddies.
Count me in. :D

If Paul D. will go we will need to make some targets with spray paint on the ground for him to set his dob' down on. :wink:
Clear skies,

Mark

CGEM DX
LXD750 w/ CDS #1697
Antares 8" f/5 Newt
Astro-Tech 65mm Quad APO
and so much more
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Mark Wrote:
If Paul D. will go we will need to make some targets with spray paint on the ground for him to set his dob' down on.
Very funny Mark... :lol: Oh and if its on a weekend or Monday night you can count me in as well....
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
RobCos
15+ Years Member

Unread post by RobCos »

ASSNEman1 wrote:
Rotorhead wrote:Perhaps after the full moon is gone, some of us could trek to Pardon Gray Preserve and see what we can see... finding an eyeful of galaxies is much more fun when you can pass the view to some observing buddies.
Count me in. :D

If Paul D. will go we will need to make some targets with spray paint on the ground for him to set his dob' down on. :wink:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Paul, you still laugh about that one.
Lacking a witty and/or insightful signature line i'll just say "WHO'S YOUR DADDY!?"
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Time to get some galaxies

Unread post by BobSikes »

The Moon is getting out of the way now and with luck, the clouds won't take it's place.

Time to get out there and spot a slew of galaxies in the Virgo clusters. Joe and Bryan have started the ball rolling viewtopic.php?t=1283

For further inspiration: check this APOD image http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080425.html
Rotorhead
Life Member

Unread post by Rotorhead »

Remember whatr we discussed at Dunkies, Joe: enter the Virgo cluster from an absolute known point, and never lose sight of the star you are hopping from until you know exactly where you have gone. Several of the Messier galaxies are so distinct as to act as road signs. If you can't identify, get back to one of the two start points - Denebola or Vindemiatrix, and work your way back in. Markarian's Chain is a good reference for the interior of the southern section of this cluster. Once you have identified one or two of the brighter galaxies, it all falls in place, and you can 'galaxy hop' just as easily as you can star hop. Your field of view is wide enough to make this easy, especially from Brian's dark yard.

Brian, my feeling about 'real' ep photos of galaxies is that they are 'pictorial observing reports' and I, too, enjoy them just as they are, unprocessed and unstacked. It gives us all a feel for the seeing conditions and serve as proof of what you are reporting. And the bits of color are icing on the cake!! :)
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Mark G
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Mark G »

here here Bob well said! :D
Clear skies,

Mark

CGEM DX
LXD750 w/ CDS #1697
Antares 8" f/5 Newt
Astro-Tech 65mm Quad APO
and so much more
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

Thanks for the reminder Bob.Im going to print out a chart or two to help with the stars that i see.Thats one thing i didnt have with me and could have used to help me find more than i did.Next clear night ill be back at it armed with more info than i had before.
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.