NGC 253, the Sculptor Galaxy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

NGC 253, the Sculptor Galaxy

Unread post by AndyG »

Also known as the Silver Dollar Galaxy, this is a bright galaxy, 8.0 apparent magnitude. It is located in the constellation Sculptor, and astronomers estimate its distance to be 11-12 million light years. It is a starburst galaxy, undergoing active star formation. [Wikipedia]

At declination -25 degrees, the object only rises to about 32 degrees above the horizon at the observatory, and here at home it never gets above 22 degrees.

Andy
rjbokleman

Re: NGC 253, the Sculptor Galaxy

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Another nice one! Congrats!
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

What a beautiful image. As you say, "a pretty picture". Thanks,

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Splendid Andy, thanks for sharing! Hey you might catch a few interesting objects from the remote that we can't quite see from home...
Bruce D
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

That is simply stunning, Andy. Another gem!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
mark.m
President

Unread post by mark.m »

Beautiful, Andy.

As I look across your images, it looks like the diffraction spikes aren't always at the same angle relative to the CCD. Are you able to rotate the camera remotely? Or is that something that requires hands-on adjustment?

- Mark Munkacsy
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks for the comments, guys!
Bruce D wrote:Hey you might catch a few interesting objects from the remote that we can't quite see from home...
Yeah, I get about 10 more degrees of elevation for Southern targets from down there which is nice. No trees to worry about either! On the other hand, I decided to keep the scope below the level of the wall to shelter it from the wind and that limits my horizon to about 22 degrees altitude due south. My partner decided to go the other way and make his pier higher so he can look over the wall and he can get right down to the horizon (mountaintops, perhaps 5-10 degrees elevation), but he is more affected by the wind and we find that I can image in more windy conditions than he can so overall I am happy with the trade-off.
mark.m wrote: As I look across your images, it looks like the diffraction spikes aren't always at the same angle relative to the CCD. Are you able to rotate the camera remotely? Or is that something that requires hands-on adjustment?
Actually there is a couple things going on there. I do have a rotator (Optec Pyxis) that I can use for framing targets or finding a guide star. So far I have never actually needed to rotate to find a guide star. Even for framing, I seldom rotate because the QSI 640 camera has a square CCD chip. I did rotate for the NGC 2336 / IC 467 image to get both galaxies in the FOV along the chip diagonal.

More often though, the spikes are at different orientations because I rotate images during processing (aesthetics).

Here's a picture of the gear. Everything below the Pyxis rotates, and the big cable loop allows the rotation. The guide camera (SX Lodestar X2) is on the other side of the QSI camera so not visible.

Andy
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Awesome image and imaging setup Andy. You really have that setup nice and tidy. Thanks for sharing.

--- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Andy,

Yet another fabulous image!! The detail all the way to the center of the galaxy is amazing. A bit surprised that you were able to capture the reddish nebulae in the outer arms without using an H-alpha filter. And it's nice to finally see a photo of your set-up, with identifying labels. I'd still be somewhat skittish being 3000 miles away from my gear if anything went wrong.

Steve
Steve L