Luna as a Senior Project

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Luna as a Senior Project

Unread post by Pete »

2 Feb 2017

This is actually a multi-night log. The primary objective here is to assist Tripp with his Sr. Project (measuring the height of the mountains on the moon). A secondary objective is to upgrade from my 14 year old ToUcam (webcam with 1/3 megapixel resolution).

I’ve been playing with a new $139 Celestron NexImage 5 planetcam. It’s simple in some ways but a bit tricky to operate in others. Worked Venus on Jan 11 and Jan 13 figuring things out and attempting to fit it with an f/3.3 focal reducer on the 80mm scope. Camera works but won’t be able to fit the full moon onto the chip as the scope won’t come to focus with the reducer. Bummer.

Last night was the first opportunity to work the moon (thru cloud) and the camera’s set up for the 80mm. Removed the SBIG and mounted the NexImage just as cloud closed things down.

Tonight the dome was opened before dinner, and I was out by 18:00. Air temp just at freezing with minimal breeze and decent seeing and an occasional cloud. With the SBIG removed, the first test was with the planetcam combined with an f/3.3 focal reducer on the 14”. It works at an approximate focal length of 1185mm (vs 910mm on the 80mm piggyback scope). Better resolution but slightly smaller FOV.

Tripp joined me at 18:30 and we imaged Theophilus from 18:48 – 19:30 using the 14” at both 3556 mm and with a 2X Barlow. Seeing didn’t allow for the Barlow so he got a couple of runs at prime focus. He then shifted to Plinius and got a couple of runs from 19:38 – 20:16 hrs.

After Tripp left I stayed out and ran 6 500 image videos that will hopefully be made into a composite. (Next best thing to being able to get the whole thing in one shot).

Running the 6 AVIs thru Registax, merging them in Photoshop, and then adjusting brightness levels at high and low end, here’s the composite:
Luna 2 Feb 2017 20:42 – 21:02 hours
Celestron NexImage 5 Merged 6 sets of 500X120sec AVI
Wishing Star Observatory

The brighter areas were just wiped out. Next time I’ll run a bit darker as there may be more latitude in brightening the terminator area than fixing an overexposure. I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone with Lunar imaging experience......

We'll probably be out again early tonight should anyone wish to join us.

Pete logged 4 Feb 2017
Pete P.
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: Luna as a Senior Project

Unread post by AndyG »

Wow, stunning image!
Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Even on my tiny phone screen the image looks great, can't wait to check it out on the computer!
Bruce D
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Lovely shot and nice detail.
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT