IC 405 Flaming Star Nebula

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Chuck

Re: IC 405 Flaming Star Nebula

Unread post by Chuck »

rjbokleman wrote:
Chuck wrote:
rjbokleman wrote:
I use the Orion version (QHY5L) in the Orion 162mm guide scope and the SV60EDS @ 5% gain, 1x1 bin. I used the Orion (QHY5L) in the COAG w/8EdgeHD at 40% gain, but 2x2 bin. Worked very well and was able to pick up stars easily after some trial and error learning how to use the COAG. :lol: I think Andy and a few others helped me on that aspect and the 2x2 bin was key.
Okay, thanks. That makes sense about the 2x2 bin being key as the pixel size on this camera is only 3.8 microns. Were you using the built-in guide port on the camera for guiding with PHD2 or with your laptop via ASCOM? Hope I got the latter terminology right as I haven't actually done this yet and am going by what I've read. Thanks.

---- Chuck
Chuck,

I don't use the ST4 port. Not needed and it adds another cable to manage.
Ron,

That's about what I thought, but had to ask as I'm only getting my info from reading at the moment.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

I received some additional feedback on Cloudy Nights on this image and have made some adjustments. I think Revision 'D' now looks better. Astrobin 'Revisions' allow you to put notes on what you did to improve the image, so you'll see those off to the right.

Basically, someone mentioned a 'Green' tint to the image and when I looked again...noticed they were 100% correct. I'd forgotten to run a PixInsight tool call SCNR w/Green which can help remove this green cast. I also boosted the Color Saturation of the stars a bit and made a slight Curves adjustment for contrast.

Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

Ron,
I particularly like this thread. Mainly because I just purchased the iOptron EQ 45 last month. I haven't even set it up yet. Thanks for the heads up on some of the difficulties. But your image is awsome so in spite of those difficulties the mount seems to have preformed very nicely. I drove to Woburn and got a lesson in setting it up, but haven't had the chance to yet. My exposures will be with a DSLR and probably short at 5 minutes or so.I will use a video camera for other imaging, like plantes. I'll be using an Exporer Scientific 80mm triplet and a new Orioin 8" astropgraph with the DSLR. I also bought the 7 pound battery counter weight. But it looks like springtime will be the first time I'll get to use the set up.

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Don,

That's great! I did the same thing. Drove up there for a visit and purchased the mount direct. I think I made a post about that last December...

I've really enjoyed using my iEQ45 Pro over the Celestron AVX. I found the AVX to be a great way to start without making a big investment, but now it's my visual, portable Go-To mount. Nothing wrong with that.

Now that I have the tri-pier for the iEQ45 Pro, it's been rock solid holding that +20lb scope plus all my other assorted gear. I'm probably around 30lbs all up on the 45lb mount.

Feel free to ping me with any questions you might have. The guys in Woburn are very helpful too.

Again, Congrats on the purchase!
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/