M1 photo - testing Photobucket

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M1 photo - testing Photobucket

Unread post by menardre »

I am just getting into astrophotography. I previously tried to upload pictures, but file size was always too large. I recently read Andy's very informative post on using photobucket, so I decided to give it another try. The posted photo is M1 taken with Nikon D7100 through my Stellarvue 90m APO. I would love to share photos and get feedback and suggestions since I am just starting. I use Images Plus to control my camera and focuser, then Images Plus IP to do the image processing. Currently I am using my Stellarvue refractor and taking fairly short exposures (<120 sec). My plan is to move up to using my CPC1100 Edge with and without autoguiding once I am comfortable with the process.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: M1 photo - testing Photobucket

Unread post by Pete »

Astrophotography has a steep learning curve, and for sure this is a very nice start.

Pete
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

I love it! The stars are round and the colors are great. One thing you could try is cropping the full sized image to bring out more detail in the main subject, the nebula. I tried it with the posted version and it definitely brought out some structure, but with the small size of the file the stars got pixelated very quickly. I think with the full sized file you could get away with some pretty aggressive cropping and still have plenty of resolution.

PS - just curious, what are you using for a mount?
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

Very sucessful test and nice image. And, I'm with Pete - What was the mount ?

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice work Roger, as Mike pointed out there's a lot more to be seen in the image by zooming in on the nebula.
Bruce D
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Roger, Beautiful image, thanks for posting. Welcome to astro-photography!
Andy
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Thanks for all of the responses.

This photo was already cropped. The processed full size is...

I have my Stellarvue 90 mounted on my Celestron CPC1100. The CPC1100 is on a wedge and the wedge is on a concrete pier. This photo was taken only to validate using Images Plus to both focus the Stellarvue, and control my Nikon D7100. I only took 20 frames (60 sec exposures), and some darks.

In order not to get overwhelmed, I am taking baby steps. Now that I know that I can control my camera and focuser, I plan on taking longer and more exposures. I will then try my hand at astrophotography through the CPC1100 (with focal reducer). Then I will add the autoguiding. I would like to get comfortable with different aspects of astrophotography before I try more complicated arrangements. Like I said, baby steps. Along the way I am using Images Plus IP to process the images, which also has a steep learning curve. So I read tutorials, watch videos, and try apply that to each image.

I really appreciate all of your feedback. And now that I know how to use Photobucket, I will try to be more involved in this forum.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Roger:

Great first image. Taking baby steps and mastering what you already have is the way to go. I'm basically just learning myself and learn something new each time I go out, which isn't very often. Keep plugging along and I look forward to seeing your progression. Good luck.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox