The Moon, She Moves!

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

The Moon, She Moves!

Unread post by Apollo XX »

How much does our moon move across the celestial backdrop each day? We all see the moon moving, usually in an apparent motion of east to west as the earth rotates, but what might escape us from time to time is that the moon is actually moving from west to east across the celestial background as it orbits the mother ship, Earth.

How much it moves is actually quite difficult to determine, as the gravitational effects of the sun and the earth and the slightly elliptical orbit of the moon all play into exactly how long it takes the moon to revolve once around the earth. 29.5 days is about the average, so we'll use that. If we take the 360* of one orbit and divide it by 29.5 days, we come up with an average movement of 12.2* per day. Breaking it down further we can divide that 12.2* by the 24 hours of the day and see that the moon is moving eastward at about .51* per hour. This can be seen in the telescope on a good night when the moon is near to some reasonably bright stars and we can watch it close in and cover the stars (also known as an occultation). On an exceptional night, the moon will be close enough to a really bright star (most recently it's been Aldebaran) and we can watch it happen with just the naked eye.

So why do I bring this all up, you ask? Well, as happenstance would have it, I stumbled across the opportunity to collect a series of photos of the moon in the morning sky that were all taken at nearly the exact time of day (within 2 minutes). The result was a vivid graphic of the moon's movement across the sky. I say "stumbled", because I just happened to be driving to work on the morning of December 14th when I saw the setting Supermoon just kissing the horizon. Pulled over, whipped out phone, click, cool photo.

Then it happened again the next day - at the exact same time of morning. The waning gibbous moon was much higher in the sky but it still looked cool. Pulled over, whipped out phone, click, another cool photo.

Then it happened again the next day. That's when it dawned on me that this could make for a cool sequence photo, so that's what I did. The first three images show the original shots. The last photo is the composite of all three with a bunch of layering/aligning/blending/yada -yada. If the distances between the moons doesn't look exact like you'd think it should, let's blame the fact that I'm using a phone camera and with it's million-mile wide lens you have a tendency to lose things like exact perspectives, ok?

Behold, the movement of the moon:

The setting Supermoon, December14'16,;

The waning gibbous moon, December15'16;

The waning gibbous moon, December16'16;

The three images composited;
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: The Moon, She Moves!

Unread post by Bruce D »

That's awesome Mike, really demonstrates Luna's moves!
Bruce D
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Great project Mike and nice composite showing the movement. I'm one of those that never really thought of the west to east movement that the moon makes. I only think about the moon rising later each evening after full moon.

Also, that utility road along the high tension lines looks like a nice area for my mountain bike. Do you know long it extends and if it's not to technical? Thanks.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Great stuff, Mike. I love the composite image!
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. 8)
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Mike,

Nice captures and enjoyed the back-story as well.

I happened to stumble across this APOD at nearly the same time you posted this and remembered your prior work on tracking the Sun over 365 days using a Coke/Pepsi Can Pinhole Camera on photographic paper.

Traces of the Sun
https://youtu.be/ZS2FvljQXsk

If you haven't seen this - it's only 2 minutes long. :P

What I find absolutely fascinating in this video sequence of the Sun is that at time index 41 seconds as he slices the track vertically...the track clearly resembles the 'Infinity' symbol which was introduced in 1655 by John Wallis along with its mathematical meaning. Coincidence?
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hey Mike, these are indeed very cool sequence photos. Great to look at.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

rjbokleman wrote:Mike,

Nice captures and enjoyed the back-story as well.

I happened to stumble across this APOD at nearly the same time you posted this and remembered your prior work on tracking the Sun over 365 days using a Coke/Pepsi Can Pinhole Camera on photographic paper.

Traces of the Sun
https://youtu.be/ZS2FvljQXsk

If you haven't seen this - it's only 2 minutes long. :P

What I find absolutely fascinating in this video sequence of the Sun is that at time index 41 seconds as he slices the track vertically...the track clearly resembles the 'Infinity' symbol which was introduced in 1655 by John Wallis along with its mathematical meaning. Coincidence?
I did see that APOD, Ron, and that figure-eight traced by the sun is called an Analemma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemma It's supposedly a challenge to record, and I say supposedly because that Hungarian dude just made a mockery of it with his setup. Cripes, he had dancing analemma's. Amazing. Tunc Tezel wrote in last month's Sky and Telescope about doing one with the total solar eclipse as one of the images, and he has dubbed it a "tutulemma". I'm hoping to do just a regular one one over my house in the near future.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

NGC7000 wrote:Hey Mike, these are indeed very cool sequence photos. Great to look at.
Thanks,
Tom
Merry Christmas, Tom!
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

And the same to you, my friend. Look forward to the many interesting insights I'm sure you will discover in 2017. :lol:

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur