M33 / NGC 598 / Triangulum Galaxy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
rjbokleman

M33 / NGC 598 / Triangulum Galaxy

Unread post by rjbokleman »

I'd taken a shot at this target when I first started with my Canon T5i, but gave up quickly due to how dim & difficult this target can be from a Red/Orange zone. Fast forward a year with more learning, the same scope [Sky-Watcher 100ED Pro (Doublet)], but this time with a mono camera (ZWO ASI1600MM-C) made all the difference.

With 13.8 hours of Ha/OIII/LRGB data, and 3 days spent processing this, I was able to tease this target out of hiding using PI. Enjoy!

Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Re: M33 / NGC 598 / Triangulum Galaxy

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Very nice Ron - lovely detail in the spiral arms. Thanks for posting! Rebekah
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Holy smokes Ron. It was just yesterday that you were struggling with the basics and now you're at the very top of the game. Wonderful.

Pete
Pete P.
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Hi Ron:

Great to see you back. Awesome shot and the NB filters really enhanced the color in the image.

I've been trying to find the time with good weather to image M33 myself. Here is a test shot I did in mid-November. My original intent was to get a few hours on it but the seeing was horrible so I just took 10 minutes.

Hopefully I'll get another chance to try again before my western obstructions are in the way. I think I'll try for a couple hours without any filter and a couple hours with my astronomic UHC clip filter to enhance the Ha and OIII regions.

Thanks for sharing.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Beautiful image, Ron. Great job on the processing.
Andy
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

I see that folks have begun sharing their pre/post processing sequences. That's a real challenge to write up in a single post, so instead I'll generalize that I've been using the process outlined by Kayron Mercieca and his blog: Light Vortex Astronomy http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/ with some tweaks of my own.

I personally don't use the PI BatchPreprocessing script and prefer doing these steps ~manually~ as I acquire my data. That's not to imply there's anything wrong with the Script --> Batch Processing --> BatchPreprocessing technique.

I say manually simply because over time I've created a set of Process Icons that are saved off and are loaded during specific steps to reduce the overhead. Those Process Icons are setup for specific things like Master_Dark_ImageCalibration_with_Master_SuperBias.xpsm, or MultiscaleLinearTransform_NoiseReduction.xpsm making processing much less of a pure task. During processing when doing things like a DynamicCrop across all filters (which needs to be 100% identical) I'll even save one off with my target name like NGC7023_Iris_Nebular_Dynamic_Crop.xpsm in case I want to add data a year from now and not have to start at the very beginning again.

Another, somewhat recent resource, is the book by Warren Keller entitled Inside PixInsight. I've read through it and while it's getting positive reviews on Amazon....I personally have found it a real challenge to make sense of. In my humble opinion it is nowhere as clear, clean or sequentially understandable as Kayron's work referenced above.
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/