Tutorial: how to post an image on the BB

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

Tutorial: how to post an image on the BB

Unread post by AndyG »

WE NOW HAVE UNLIMITED SPACE ON OUR CURRENT WEB SERVER, so feel free to attach images directly to your posts! Images must be no larger than 10 MB. Resize down using a free online photo resizer if larger. They will display at 800 pixels across.

Just hit "attachments" at the bottom, hit add files, find the photo, hit open. You'll see a bar to the right and then a checkmark when it is loaded.
You don't need to do anything else to put it at the bottom of your message, when you hit submit it will load automatically at the end.

Or, you can click on a spot in your message, and then select "paste inline."

The bulletin board also can display images that are hosted on another web site, but note that the process will be different for each site. Most sites try to make it difficult for "third-party" embedding.

NOTE Photobucket no longer works as third-party image host, unless you have a paid subscription with them.

Flickr: you must use the "BBCode" to embed it on a bulletin board. So when you click the "share" button on a photo, select the "BB Code" tab, and then copy ALL the text that comes up, and paste it into your forum post.

For other sites, most will give you a "share" option of some type. You need the URL of the image (such as http://www.pixz.com/4331.jpg).
Once you have the url, select the button above that looks like a picture in a frame, this is the "image" button.
You'll get something like this in your post where the cursor was when you clicked the Img button: [ img ][ /img]

Place the cursor in between img] [/img and paste your image URL (press Ctrl-V on Windows).
If you Preview or Submit your post, you will see the image embedded.

(Edited/updated by Rebekah 09/10/2017)
Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Tutorial: how to post an image on the BB

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Just what I needed, Andy. Thank you. I was posting from Flickr until they changed their format. Try as I might I just couldn't get the links to work.

Great tutorial.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Mark G
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Mark G »

I have Windows 10. And Flickr or my OS refuses to give me an url to link an image. Any free file sharing sites that work on the BB?
Clear skies,

Mark

iOptron CEM25P w/ Tri-pier
CGEM DX
LXD750 w/ CDS #1697
LXD75 w/ #497 autostar Hypertuned
Antares 8" f/5 Newt
Antares 4" f/15 "Vixen Spec" long focus refractor
Orion 4" f/7 ED refractor
Astro-Tech 65mm Quad APO
and so much more
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hi Mark,

As Rebekah pointed out to me,we can upload an image directly from the computer and it will be fully visible in the thread.

Look at attachments at the bottom of this screen and upload away.

How ya' doin'? Haven't seen you in some time and hope we change that soon! :D

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur