NGC 891, Edge-on Galaxy in Andromeda

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

NGC 891, Edge-on Galaxy in Andromeda

Unread post by AndyG »

NGC 891 is an edge-on spiral galaxy about 27 million light-years distant in Andromeda, with a prominent lane of dark dust in the galactic disk. The unusual filaments of dust extending away from the galactic disk are believed to be caused by supernova explosions. If there are any astronomers in NGC 891, they can't see our Milky Way galaxy since we are obscured by the interstellar dust in NGC 891. Wikipedia

I am pleased with how this one came out compared with my last attempt at this target.

Andy
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: NGC 891, Edge-on Galaxy in Andromeda

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks, Bill. You can click the image to go to a page with the technical details and higher resolution versions.
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Love it! Not only did the darker skies help to improve this image over your last one, but the larger scale through the bigger scope is awesome too.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Andy,

This is an awesome, close-up view of NGC 891.
I'm curious, however, as there seems to be no luminance channel. As highly-detailed as this image is, do you think luminance would have boosted the resolution even more?

Steve
Steve L
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Simply spectacular Andy!
Bruce D
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks for the comments, guys!
AstroGeek wrote:there seems to be no luminance channel. As highly-detailed as this image is, do you think luminance would have boosted the resolution even more?
Lately I've been experimenting with shooting just RGB bin 1 rather than RGB bin 2 + Lum bin 1, and I'm beginning to conclude it is working out better that way for me. Ron and I were discussing it here.

With the RGB bin 2 + Lum bin 1 method, I was struggling with chrominance noise since I tended not to take enough RGB bin 2 subs. I was never quite sure about whether or not I had the right balance of Lum vs RGB subs and I tended to take too many Lum subs.

With the RGB bin 1 method I now create a synthetic Luminance by combining the RGB masters. That way the luminance and chrominance noise are automatically balanced.
Andy
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Andy,

Thanks for your explanation about RGB vs LRGB. It makes sense and obviously your results are remarkable. My next project will be a two-panel mosaic of the Pleiades and I think that I will give your method a try.

Just waiting for the moon to move along...

Steve
Steve L
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Spectacular, Andy. That is such an impressive image.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Andy you never cease to amaze us all with your skills and the use of your equipment as allways thank you for sharing
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49