Dwarf Galaxy IC 1613 in Cetus

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

Dwarf Galaxy IC 1613 in Cetus

Unread post by AndyG »

IC 1613 is an irregular dwarf galaxy in Cetus and a member of the Local Group of galaxies. The bright star at the left is HD 6375, which, at mag ~ 6.2 would be just barely visible to the naked eye in dark skies.

Andy
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Re: Dwarf Galaxy IC 1613 in Cetus

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Cool shot, Andy. I think I see a not-so-dwarf galaxy way in the distance at the top of the dwarf galaxy.

Steve

P.S. Further review shows a few more distant galaxies. Nice!!
Steve L
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Hi Andy, very neat. Is it known what structure this galaxy has? It looks kind of diffuse -- or is that just our viewing angle from Earth?
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Stargrrl wrote:Is it known what structure this galaxy has? It looks kind of diffuse -- or is that just our viewing angle from Earth?
IC 1613 is indeed quite diffuse with only 100's of millions of stars (vs our Milky Way's ~200 billion.) It is also relatively close, about 2.4M ly, a little closer than M33. On this diagram of the Local Group it's in the 9 o'clock position relative to the Milky Way.

One theory is that dwarf galaxies form from the tidal streams resulting from close gravitational interactions between galaxies, in this case Andromeda and Milky Way.
Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

That is spectacular, Andy. Another DSO I had no idea existed until you brought it to us with 8 nights of imaging no less!

And I see you are using your own acquisition software. It's just mind boggling.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Andy - very interesting and excellent image! Do you happen to know how observable this object is visually? At mag 9.9 it seems like it might be able to be seen under dark skies, but it's probably a very diffuse spread of light.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Thank you for the links - science rocks :lol:
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Like Steve said, that big smudge in the middle of the picture is getting in the way of all those fine small galaxies in the back ground. :lol: :lol: :lol: Great image Andy..
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Apollo XX wrote: Do you happen to know how observable this object is visually? At mag 9.9 it seems like it might be able to be seen under dark skies, but it's probably a very diffuse spread of light.
Good question. I think it would be a good challenge. For comparison, Barnard's Galaxy in SGR is similar in apparent size and a bit brighter (mag 9.3). I tried and failed to observe Barnard's galaxy at Stellafane this year, but I was not very persistent in trying to find it. Barnard reportedly discovered it with a 6-in refractor!
Andy