Request for winter astro photos (by Oct 14)

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Request for winter astro photos (by Oct 14)

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Calling all imagers -- Mass Audubon has a new high-quality quarterly magazine coming out, Explorer, and I've been asked to write an article on winter astronomy (things to see in the sky in Jan-March, tips for observing, and promote our Moose Hill Nights) for the initial issue. This will be a two-page spread, and they are also looking for at least a half-dozen high-quality images, so of course my first thought was to reach out to all our terrific astrophotographers. This magazine will go out to 63,000 subscribers -- and you will receive a personal credit line on all photos.

So, please let me know on the thread or by PM if you have images you would like to share. As this will be both an electronic and print publication, they will need high quality, large images with 250-300 ppi resolution, and I will set up a Dropbox for them.

The preference would be for pictures of things you can see/look for in the wintertime -- assume naked eye/binos -- constellations, easy nebula, planets or nice moon shots. Jupiter, Mars, Venus, & Mercury will be evening objects this winter. It also would be great to have reference shots of a penumbral lunar eclipse (due in Feb) and if anyone has it, Comet Encke, due back this winter also.

Deadline for photo submissions is October 14. If you haven't done print output before, I'm happy to walk you through. If we can give them a nice selection to pick from for the article, I think this would be a great showcase for the club.

Thanks, Rebekah
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
DonB

Re: Request for winter astro photos (by Oct 14)

Unread post by DonB »

Wow, Wonderful Rebekah. I have a moon shot. How can I send it to you ? As an attachment?

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Hi Don - excellent! I'll set up a dropbox folder and send you a link - that's the easiest way to share large files & make sure they don't get compressed. Then I can check the sizes/resolution & share all the images we accumulate at deadline with Audubon. Rebekah
RebekahB
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Hi Rebekah,

You are welcome to use any of my photos, http://adgsoftware.com/ap/

I think the objects accessible to our Moose Hill visitors in Winter would be:

M42

Leo Triplet

M81 and M82

M45

M1 - a stretch from Moose Hill, though Vaughn should be able to get it in his 16"

The Double Cluster

Feel free to take anything you want from the site though.
Andy
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Hi Andy, I was hoping , you would offer some photos :P This will be a more general article - not specifically on Moose Hill, but for people who are just looking at the sky in the winter naked eye/binos. Although I still think I can send them a couple shots of "things you can only see at Moose Hill." I'll look through your gallery and then get back to you on getting the large, uncompressed versions they will need for print - thanks! Rebekah
RebekahB
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Rebekah, I'd appreciate the link to the dropbox as well. I have a few shots I'd like to share for consideration.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Thanks Mike - particularly if you have a penumbral lunar eclipse or some good visual winter sky photos, that would be excellent.

Andy, Don, Mike - I've emailed you a link to the Dropbox folder - Rebekah
RebekahB
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Hi Rebekah,

Please send me the dropbox link also if you can. I have some aurora images, as well as comets
and a variety of planetary conjunctions and lunar and solar halo images. Not sure of the sizes.

Thanks much,

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.