Hoag's Object

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

Hoag's Object

Unread post by AndyG »

At a recent meeting Commander Cosmos put in a request to image Hoag's Object. At about 45 arc-seconds in diameter, this is only about 65 pixels on my CCD chip, a bit too small for me to be able to resolve much. It is also very dim: although the core is mag 16, the outer ring is much fainter.

The other problem I had was that monsoon season has arrived in the Southwest, and I now have very limited imaging time. Nevertheless, I was able to get about 6 hours of exposure between thunderstorms (10-minute subs, Luminance only) and came up with this image below.

So... what is it? Apparently it is a single galaxy consisting of a core of older stars surrounded by a ring of younger stars. Among ring-type galaxies, Hoag's object belongs to a rare class where the ring does not appear to have been created by an interaction with another galaxy. [Wikipedia]

Thanks Dan for the idea to point the scope at this bizarre and fascinating object!

Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Hoag's Object

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Really neat, Andy, and cool object! Even as small as it is I'm still seeing some structure in the outer ring.

Can't you just run out there and stick a barlow in? :shock: :lol:
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Superb image Andy. I agree with Mike that some structure in the outer ring can be seen, and at only a mere 600 million light years distant! After a little googling on this object, there is another suspected ring galaxy (much more distant) that can be seen in the void between the inner core and the outer ring. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

The Universe never ceases to amaze as do Andy's images. :lol: Good thing it's ~100,000 ly wide (75K x 120K) (our own Milky Way is estimated to be ~150,000 ly) from our perspective or a mere 0.4 x 0.3 arc-minutes as Chuck noted being 600 million light years.

http://heritage.stsci.edu/2002/21/lucas ... lucas.html
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks for the comments, guys. Ron, thanks for that link, great information there.
Andy
Ronald Z

Unread post by Ronald Z »

Andy, I think what you actually captured here was the remnants of the "big bang" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding....great capture indeed!

Ron Z 8)
ES AR152mm (988mm f6.5) achromatic doublet
TV 85mm (600mm f7) APO doublet
TV 60mm (360mm f6) APO doublet
TV Starbeam
TV 5X & 2.5X Powermates
TV DeLite set
Canon 60Da
Rokinon 10mm f2.8, 14mm f2.8
24mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0
Samyang 85mm f1.4
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

astrogeek wrote:Hoag's Object is pretty cool, also. I did not realize that this gem is only 45" across - basically the apparent size of Jupiter at opposition. Since you are working with just 2130mm of focal length, I assume that you needed to zoom-in & crop during the processing.
Steve, yeah, it was very small on the chip, only about 65 pixels. I used 2x drizzle alignment which effectively doubled the resolution to 4096x4096 and 0.36"/px. Here's one of the calibrated subs: 24 arc-minutes square for the full frame. I was happy to see a little bit of detail in the ring after stacking despite the small size. The detail was definitely not visible in the individual subs!

Andy