Galaxy trio in Virgo

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Re: Galaxy trio in Virgo

Unread post by bluemax »

Andy,

I have run out of ways to describe how wonderful your work is! Just thank you very much for sharing these fine images. Question, this may have been asked before but, how do you keep the scope glass clean from dust, etc.....is there some sort of robotic cover?
We're in the middle of a house move so no astronomy for a while but, these images help keep my interest up for sure. Thanks again.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks, Frank! I hope the house move is going well.
bluemax wrote:Question, this may have been asked before but, how do you keep the scope glass clean from dust, etc.....is there some sort of robotic cover?
Dust is definitely an issue, though I'm not sure yet how big a problem it is going to be. The roll-off roof is effectively the dust cover. We made the building as air-tight as we could to keep out wind-blown dust and the scopes are parked horizontally keeping the optics vertical, but dust will still be a problem and I'm sure I'll need to clean the optics each time I visit the site.

There are robotic dust covers you can buy (or build), but I did not like the idea of having a big flap up to catch the wind when the cover is open. Next time I go to the site I'll need to evaluate how much of a problem it is and see if I need to do anything about it.
Andy
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Hi Frank I agree with you I'm out of words so all I can say is inspiring. :mrgreen:
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Wow. Just came across this one, Andy. Spectacular. I see the streams!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Andy your first comment was Back log of materials, gee, you make it sound like it's work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49