NGC 2903, Spiral Galaxy in Leo

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

NGC 2903, Spiral Galaxy in Leo

Unread post by AndyG »

An image from the remote observatory in New Mexico: NGC 2903, a spiral galaxy in Leo.

Andy
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Re: NGC 2903, Spiral Galaxy in Leo

Unread post by AstroGeek »

We've all run out of superlatives to describe your images, Andy. I always like to view your images in high-resolution, max brightness on my 27" Mac screen. Just amazing detail!! Also counted six additional 'easter egg' galaxies hidden in the background. I hope that you are framing some of these images and hanging them in your house. See you at the meeting...

Steve
Steve L
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

I agree, we are simply out of adjectives for this work. Absolutely stunning. :!: :!: :!:

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Remarkable Andy, another home run... I imagine you are very pleased with the results of the new observatory.

When you are done imaging and go to close the roof for the night how do you know the other guys aren't still imaging?
Bruce D
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks Steve, thanks Don!
AstroGeek wrote:See you at the meeting...
I can't make tonight's meeting. Hope to see you next time!
ASSNE Prime wrote:I imagine you are very pleased with the results of the new observatory.

When you are done imaging and go to close the roof for the night how do you know the other guys aren't still imaging?
Thanks Bruce, yeah, I'm just thrilled with the observatory, it's like a dream come true.

Coordinating the roof schedule is pretty easy. I made a little application to control the roof that runs on the shared PC that all three of us have access to. We set the roof to close some time before dawn. The roof is high enough that it will always clear our scopes so there is never any danger of colliding with the scopes. If the PC were to hang or crash, the Arduino roof controller will close the roof automatically. The roof has a dedicated battery backup with enough capacity to close the roof several times, and the PC is also on a UPS. If we have an extended power outage the roof will close right away on battery power.

Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Andy, that is just so beautiful. It must be a real thrill enjoying the whole process of remote imaging.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Nice Andy!

My research (from various sources) shows its apparent size to be 12 x 5.4 arc minutes @ Mag 8.8. Seems like some compare this to our own Milky Way from its size, shape, and central bar.
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/