NGC 660, Polar Ring Galaxy in Pisces

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

NGC 660, Polar Ring Galaxy in Pisces

Unread post by AndyG »

Here is my first image from the 12.5" scope from the remote observatory in NM.
NGC 660 is classified as a "polar ring galaxy," meaning that it has a belt of gas and stars around its center that it ripped from a near neighbor during a clash about one billion years ago.The first polar ring galaxy was observed in 1978 and only around a dozen more have been discovered since then, making them something of a cosmic rarity. - NASA.gov

Click image for higher resolution version and image acquisition details.
Andy
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Re: NGC 660, Polar Ring Galaxy in Pisces

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Andy,

With your remote set-up and acquisition/processing skills, you have completely crossed over into the realm of elite astrophotographers. Even at full-resolution, the detail is tack sharp and the background is like black glass. Congrats on your achievement and we all look forward to many of your fabulous images being posted here.

Last meeting, I mentioned a cool planetary nebula with a galaxy obscured in the background. I found that it is called Abell 70 and is located in Aquila.

Keep up your awesome work!!

Steve
Steve L
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Awesome indeed Andy.

I'm working approximately the same chip size and the same focal length, but my short exposure stop action images are a wee-bit nosier than yours.

It's always a blast to see a myriad of undocumented galaxies appear in deep exposures. Sort of like in the old days when a kid opened a box of crackerjacks to discover the surprise inside.

Pete
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Andy it doesn't get any better than that! Nice subject too!
Bruce D
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

So beautiful, Andy. Sooooo beautiful.
Congratulations on your new "setup."

Above all, thanks for sharing!

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Really nice, Andy!
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

I loved your talk the other night and now to see the results. Your first image is stunning and I (and I am sure other members) await the treasure of images to come. But to think this is your first image from your setup is amazing. Can't wait to see what follows. Superb. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Andy you alone are major reason why the activity on the bulletin board is up lately. It' seams everybody wants to see these jaw dropping images. I think we have just about run out of adjectives to describe your work. Have you ever considered submitting them to Sky and Telescope. I'll bet national geographic would print them and the boys at nasa could learn a thing or two. Again I want to thank you for sharing. Jerry
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.
AstroGeek wrote:Last meeting, I mentioned a cool planetary nebula with a galaxy obscured in the background. I found that it is called Abell 70 and is located in Aquila.
What a cool target, thanks for the tip, I put it on my list. Looks like it is best imaged in June, just before the Southwest monsoon comes in. I'll be unable to image from July-Sept due to the monsoon.
Pete wrote:It's always a blast to see a myriad of undocumented galaxies appear in deep exposures.
Yeah, that blows my mind every time, realizing each of those hundreds of tiny specks in the background is a collection of hundreds of billions of stars with likely hundreds of billions of planets.
Andy
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Oh my!!

I counted at least 6 additional galaxies in this one. Amazing!! Can anyone pick out more?

Thanks so much for posting!

P.S. I just did a little further research on this. To put this in perspective the apparent size of this is 4.6 x 1.7 arc-min. Very tiny from our perspective here on earth and yet your scope has brought it and it's detail to the point you'd think it was the size of the full moon!

I second Jerry's earlier comments to to give you a comparison guys...look at this image from the Worldwide Telescope by comparison. http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/webcl ... ov=0.35156 It's not even close!
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/