NGC 660, Polar Ring Galaxy in Pisces

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: NGC 660, Polar Ring Galaxy in Pisces

Unread post by AndyG »

rjbokleman wrote:Can anyone pick out more?
Well, there's a heck of a lot more than those 6 big ones. Here's a crop from the un-processed Luminance stack, the area just above NGC 660:

The fuzziness and irregular or oblong shapes of the objects in the rectangle indicate they are galaxies! (maybe 1 or two stars, but probably about 30 galaxies there in that one little region), so there are easily hundreds visible throughout the background of the full image.
Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Amazing!

Every considered trying to image a couple of the brighter instances of gravitational lensing, or is that out of reach?
Bruce D
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Andy,

That image is totally magazine worthy. You need to get those images published. I will have to sit down one day and take your image and list all the galaxies like I did with so many of Astro Geeks images in the past. Just a quick look I see more than a dozen in that image. I am sure there may be more.

Ok just enlarged the image and took a close look. You probably have anywhere from 20 - 50 galaxies in that image.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Truly spectacular, Andy. All that work has really paid off.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Thanks Andy, I didn't know about these galaxies - very cool - and a beautiful photo!

Rebekah
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

ASSNE Prime wrote:Amazing!

Every considered trying to image a couple of the brighter instances of gravitational lensing, or is that out of reach?
Hi Bruce,

The most familiar example of gravitational lensing is the "Einstein Cross" (QSO 2237+0305) in Pegasus.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _cross.jpg[/img]

Dan told Andy about an easier to capture example of gravitational lensing (known as "The Double Quasar) back in April 2014, and Andy reported on it: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4221

Following in Andy's footsteps I duplicated his observation in May 2014: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=4228

Quasars are neat, as they can be viewed out toward the edge of the universe. I always try to identify them if they're in the image frame.

Pete
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Hi Pete, I had totally forgot all about the amazing images you and Andy took, thanks for jogging my memory :oops:
Bruce D
Ronald Z

Unread post by Ronald Z »

I agree with the other ASSNE members that you have definitely crossed over into the realm
of elite astro imagers! We are proud to have you in our Club and I am sure we will a lot from your
image acquisitions.

Keep up the great work!

Ron Z 8)
ES AR152mm (988mm f6.5) achromatic doublet
TV 85mm (600mm f7) APO doublet
TV 60mm (360mm f6) APO doublet
TV Starbeam
TV 5X & 2.5X Powermates
TV DeLite set
Canon 60Da
Rokinon 10mm f2.8, 14mm f2.8
24mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0
Samyang 85mm f1.4
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Andy just looking at your image reminds me of the words on the eve of the pink club house "the skies declare the glory of God"very fitting image great work.
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Andy,

Thank you for sharing this incredible image and letting us see what your new scope can do.

Fantastic processing, too!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur