M31 / NCG 224 Andromeda Galaxy w/PixInsight!

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
rjbokleman

M31 / NCG 224 Andromeda Galaxy w/PixInsight!

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Ok, so I've taken the plunge off the deep end. Earlier this year I posted this same target and had quite a challenge pre / post processing with the tools at hand. It turned out ok, but I wasn't happy with the color balance for example.

I decided to give PixInsight a try and after about a week of reading, reading blogs, watching videos, playing with the tool and making a total mess at times I've become to understand why it has the reputation it has.

A year ago when I looked at it...I just cringed because I didn't know for beans what I was doing and opted to take and easier route of using Backyard EOS & Nebulosity. I then moved onto using SGP w/Nebulosity and Pixelmator. I got some decent beginner results from that and learned a lot along the way.

I think you'll agree that with this same exact data set...the result with PixInsight is - well - rather a another step up. Let me know what you think and if you agree/disagree.

This was pre-processed as before with Nebulosity, but that result was post-processed using PixInsight. The next step is to learn pre-processing with PixInsight.

I appreciate the groups indulgence and encouragement throughout this past year!! Merry Christmas!
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: M31 / NCG 224 Andromeda Galaxy w/PixInsight!

Unread post by Pete »

I clicked on this image link and a WOW escaped unsolicited from my throat. You are Prime Time Ron.

Pete
Pete P.
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Terrific result, Ron. Definitely a step up. I really like the colors and the detail you were able to bring out. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing more.
Andy
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Bill,

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for that tip!

It was recently mentioned in this thread on Cloudynights as well: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51948 ... try6908470

Seems there are many of us at this stage trying to figure out what works and what doesn't as well as how to cure common issues. There's a ton to learn - and for some of us - that's part of the appeal and excitement! :lol:
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/