It's Pillar Season!

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

It's Pillar Season!

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Although they can happen at any time of the year, we're now entering the seasonal timeframe where sun pillars, sun dogs, halos and arcs of all kinds can and do happen more frequently. Frosty atmospheric temperatures, low sun angles and some clouds are all it takes for nature to create some of the most dazzling sky displays human eyes will ever see. Be sure to keep an eye to the sky on a frequent basis to catch these transient events!

Sunrise this morning on my way to work. These are typical conditions for the development of atmospheric phenomena; 25*, low sun and some clouds. I could see a pillar developing but it wasn't vivid enough yet to be captured in this image. As I drove on it got more evident, but I didn't have a place to pull over and capture it and by the time I got to work it was gone;

"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Chuck

Re: It's Pillar Season!

Unread post by Chuck »

Can't agree more Mike and great pic. I usually don't observe sunrise but this time of year has some spectacular sunsets.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Agreed Chuck! Sunrise, Sunset, both are great for these types of spectacles.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Great picture, Mike!
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur