It's Almost Over

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

It's Almost Over

Unread post by Apollo XX »

In just about two weeks Venus will reach inferior conjunction, thus ending this wonderful eastern elongation for 2015. it's getting a bit more difficult to capture now as it slides ever more deeply into the glare of the sun, and by the end of next week most pursuers will say nah, too close to Sol. If you're equipped though, this could be a good year to capture the "ring of Venus", phenomenon created by light from the sun illuminating the upper reaches of Venus' atmosphere: http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?vie ... &year=2012 For this apparition Venus will pass about 8* below the sun at inferior conjunction, thus making it somewhat safer to pursue the elusive ring of light.

A 10% waning crescent Venus in the eyepiece this morning at 11:30am EDT:

"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
WCGucfa

Re: It's Almost Over

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Nice shot, Mike!
I do miss the camera/exposure/locater program, details though.
I'm thinking you stole that crescent from one of your colorful cloud images! I think I see craters on "Venus"!! :lol:

Also, do you still have at least some vision in one eye? Ah, the dangers we risk!

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thanks Bill! Don't worry, I won't deny you the details forever - this was just a quickie lazy posting for the heck of it. I've been working on capturing a sequence of images of Venus from greatest elongation to inferior conjunction. I'd like to get one more shot at around 5% before I assemble the final montage for this segment. Of course this final element is highly dependent on sky quality and with this current HHH trend in the weather, well, we'll see I guess. I'll be on a constant lookout for a good opportunity right through next week.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Oh, I get it. Thanks, Mike.
I can't wait to see the great results!

BG

P.S. Be careful!! Eye patches are not the best fashion nowadays!

B.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Venus as seen through the eyepiece during today's efforts to capture it at the 7.5% phase;

mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Mike, you sure are doing some fantastic things. These pictures are I guess I can say a rarety. I'm so glad you took the time and effort to take them for all of us to enjoy, thank you. 8) 8)
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thank you for the compliment Jerry! It's appreciated!
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Getting closer! As seen though the eyepiece at 11:25am today, 110x, 6% phase, 53.2" in apparent diameter (for reference, Jupiter during opposition never gets over 50.1" as seen from here);

AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Amazing!
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Here's a quick graphic of the progress of Venus around the sun. From June 7, when it was just 23.8 arc seconds in apparent diameter @ 49.1% phase, to yesterday's 54.4 arc seconds @ 4.7% phase. Perhaps the most interesting part is the minimal change in magnitude. This really hammers home the relationship of distance vs. brightness. As if you anybody who drives at night didn't know that already. :roll: