M27 2015

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
rjbokleman

Re: M27 2015

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Didn't get a reply to my question about color accuracy/differences, but I did find an interesting article: http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/COLOR.HTM.

So, are the colors in my photos perfectly accurate?

No, especially in the photos of emission line objects. However, if my images are reasonably close, then I am happy, and I don't feel like my photos are a total fantasy.

But, most importantly, I am not trying to do science with my images. My purpose is to simply try to share some of the beauty of the universe with others through my astrophotography.

So, to me, the question is not if the colors are perfectly accurate, but rather, do the pictures evoke a pleasurable emotional response in the viewer? Are my pictures successful is sharing some of the awe and wonder that I feel when looking at the universe?
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Re: M27 2015

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Hi Ron, and thanks for the articles and information you provided, I was a printer for 35 years with a major greeting card company, and have encountered the situation you provided with the colored squares as an example. For many years we reproduced images on on paper two colors at a time. That means at the start it was a guessing game as to what first two colors to put down first. Red and blue black and blue black and yellow yellow and blue red and yellow or red and black. As you said the same colors but depending on the sequence they were applied gives very different appearances to the same color. In modern printing presses all the colors can be put down at once, but here we go with the order in which they are applied, with the same results. Perfection can be achieved but what is the cost of doing it that way?,Many hours of changing colors and the sequence adds a lot of time to a production run. So experience is where a compromise is is made in the planning. From my experience images are broken down to 4 basic colors red or magenta, yello111 blue 302 and black. The color numbers are from a pms (pantone matching system) book and are the basis for what the company I worked for used. The reason after much debate was what they though were colors that represent the colors found in nature TO THEM. Personal opinion as you said takes a big part in this because these colors come from nature there are other conditions in nature that have an effect light values, cloud cover light direction and probably a few dozen more but there isn't enough room to go there. The company also had an artist research into finding a way to creat a way of "buffering colors after they were printed to bring out highlitesin the colors by intensifying or softening a color and they succeeded in doing so. Sorry it's a trade secret I could tell you but then I would have to shoot you :lol: :lol: . So the bottom line is they found a color that reacts with each color differently and proportionately according to the percentage of coverage(percent screen). It is a major improovement in 4 color screen offset printing, and it is also expensive. Even then as you refered to personal opinion varies with the individual. Even with the expenses they made to find something better it still comes down to how do you like it?? Ron each of you astro photographers I think put their heart and soul into their work(hobby) and all of you produce inspiring results of your own creation and opinion. As for my opinion, who am I to judge an artist? You're doing great. Jerry
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49