Equipment: 2015-06-26

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
rjbokleman

Equipment: 2015-06-26

Unread post by rjbokleman »

What a nice night ahead. Got things setup and ready to go. Upgraded my laptop with a new 1TB SSD. Reinstalled everything, so this is a test to see if it's all working again.

I also added AstroTortilla 0.7 for plate solving and will be attempting to get that going as well depending upon how everything else comes online.

Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
Chuck

Re: Equipment: 2015-06-26

Unread post by Chuck »

Hope you had a good night Ron and that your laptop behaved.

--- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Chuck,

Appreciate that. Everything worked well with the exception of the new addition: AstroTortilla. Didn't expect it to work the first time - though - when I practiced with the sample files things worked inside.

As you know, inside testing is quite different than being in the dark working with actual images. :lol:

Will need to do some more reading to understand what I might have done wrong. It's a bit tricky getting all these tools to work together: BackyardEOS (BYE) v3.1.3, PHD v2.5, and AstroTortilla v0.7 (AT). BYE was suppose to send over an image to AT, AT was suppose to pick it up and plate solve it and then direct the AVX to center that target. AT wasn't plate solving the images sent by BYE and would simply fail. (Got half-way there, anyway!)

Even so, the nights are so short at this time of year. If you start imaging as early as ~10:00-10:30pm the sky brightens too much by 3:00-3:30am. That's not a lot of time to gather enough frames (lights/darks, etc) on a single target. Given - you really have half that time! Half? Yes, if you start in the East you only have half (or less given your starting degree of altitude) that time as the object approaches your meridian, and then if you want to keep going you have to flip everything over.

I haven't mastered the 'meridian' flip yet, so consequently I get only ~2-3 hours at a single target. You'll notice that folks like Andy have mastered the plate solving routine, so that when they go out, night after night, they can pick up where they left off with the scope in the exact same spot as when they left it last time. This means you can stack, like his beautiful M13 image, 6-7 hours of images to increase the color saturation.

Hence the reason I'm trying to get AT working. :P
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Ron:

I have no doubt that you'll master getting all this software working together just fine. I've only been here a short time but am impressed at the progress you've made in that time. Thanks for sharing your work.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox