Today's Sun

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Today's Sun

Unread post by Apollo XX »

I was out with the PST this morning and saw some beautiful sun. Decided to try and capture it. Slipped in my simple imaging setup - 25mm eyepiece/2x barlow/Kodak Z885. Disc recorded @ ISO100, F8, 1/1000, Proms recorded @ ISO200, F5, 1/400. Combined and processed in GIMP.

"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Today's Sun

Unread post by Bruce D »

Beautiful shot Mike. I tried imaging with the PST and didn't have near as good results
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thanks Bruce. The sun was beautiful today!
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Ok this is try #3 let's see if stupid can get it right. Mike that is an impressive image, good job!! What scope do you have?? For Saturday I planto use the ETX 125 with a glass solar filter. Do you think that will be ok?? Hope to see you there Jerry. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thanks Jerry! The scope I used for this picture is my relatively new PST. The image is good for what it is - that being a simple snapshot through the eyepiece. Actually it's two snapshots - one for the disc and one for the limbs. I got curious as to how much of the "detail" shown was real vs. artifacts of processing (which can be pretty aggressive in cases like this) so I went to spaceweather.com where one can find every imaginable level of imaging going on. I took two sun images from the same day to compare mine to. The top one was shot by a well known solar imager with the usual video process through a 60mm Solarmax II, and the bottom one was also done with the usual video technique through a Lunt 100mm. I was pleased to find that most of the detail is legit and that the simple approach held up well.

Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

More SSI (Simpleton Sun Imaging) :P A hole in the clouds and a hurried deployment of the PST today revealed this awesome hedgerow prominence on the limb of the sun.

Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

All with the PST?
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

ASSNE Prime wrote:All with the PST?
Yessir, PST. Today's prominence was shot through the PST with the Kodak Z885 DSC on top of a 25mm/3x barlow. I only shot the prom which completely overexposes the disc, thus no disc detail.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

I AM impressed!
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

I'm impressed too! What's with that black line between the sun and the prominences? It seems to go around the entire diameter.

Pete
Pete P.