Leo Triplet 2015

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: Leo Triplet 2015

Unread post by Pete »

Gosh Andy, I wasn't aware of this latest fix. SBIG camera folks have been living with this problem from day 1.

The software mix in the observatory's a bit intimidating to me and once I've got things running I'm hesitant to dick around with it. But once we've got into warmer weather I'm going for it for sure.

Bob N over at Skyscrapers had me over to his observatory a few years back and I was blown away with his Maxim software doing a plate solve and then correcting itself to put the target within an arc minute of target. I wasn't aware of AstroTortilla and am excited about the possibility of fitting it into my system. Plate solves work OK with a 1° FOB but with my miniscule 21'X15' FOV the plate solve must be pretty robust.

Ideally I'd control the telescope pointing from within Guide 9, just picking a FOV that includes the asteroid plus a decent guide star on the separate guiding chip. That eliminates the manual entry of RA & DEC with the hand control. Almost always the slew will be 5' or 10' off, and then I've got to figure out just where the scope's pointing to make adjustments. After all these years I've become proficient in adjusting but automation sure would be preferred.

Anyway, thank you very very much for calling this stuff to my attention. I certainly will follow through.

Pete
Pete P.
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

AndyG wrote:I have been trying to do some imaging over the past several weeks. The sky conditions have been pretty lousy--poor seeing and transparency. I really had to wrestle with the data to get this image. I think it came out a little better than my last attempt.

(click image for higher resolution images and acquisition info)

Very nice indeed!
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Beautiful detail, Andy. Gorgeous.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Unread post by BobSikes »

Very nice Andy,

This is one of my favorites sites in the scope. And since my pier is still under and surround by many feet of snow, I thank you for giving me a view on my computer's background.

BobS
Ronald Z

Unread post by Ronald Z »

Andy, just stunning imagery! You are definitely a guru of deep space imaging!!!!

Ronald Z :P
ES AR152mm (988mm f6.5) achromatic doublet
TV 85mm (600mm f7) APO doublet
TV 60mm (360mm f6) APO doublet
TV Starbeam
TV 5X & 2.5X Powermates
TV DeLite set
Canon 60Da
Rokinon 10mm f2.8, 14mm f2.8
24mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0
Samyang 85mm f1.4
AndyG