Weather Predicting Moon and Clouds!

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
WCGucfa

Weather Predicting Moon and Clouds!

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Last night I had been watching a faint 22 degree lunar halo trying to form and checked every hour or so. The ring seemed to be having trouble forming.
By the time I got my camera set up the faint halo was gone! The sky was now displaying Moon illuminated cirro and alto cumulus clouds; the
familiar "mackerel sky."
Along with a colorful corona wound tightly around Luna's rim, I knew, with little doubt, these were signs Old Man Winter would be knocking on my door come morning.

Bill G.

02/01/2015, Sony DSC F-707, 2s, ISO 400. Century Fisheye lens. Jupiter is the cloud smeared light at lower left of photo.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Weather Predicting Moon and Clouds!

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Hey Bill,

It's good to know that there are like souls out there prowling around in the night! :lol: When I walked the dog I noticed that the sky wasn't so bad and that with some luck I might pick up a moon shadow transit on Jup. Stuck a scope out to cool for a bit and worked on something else. When I went back out the sky had mostly closed down, but like you I saw some very pretty stuff going on around the moon. At one particular moment the corona was so tight and well formed that it almost looked like some form of exotic halo - that's the best word I could come up with for it. :lol: Alas, my camera gear was scattered in too many different areas to pull it together in time, so now I only have the memory. 8)
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras