A Little Lunacy To Pass The Blizzard

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

A Little Lunacy To Pass The Blizzard

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Hope everyone is well prepared and survives this monster storm well! As a distraction I offer the following: In this image that I took a few days ago while out observing Mercury, we see the far eastern limb of the moon, and if you look at the features along this area you'll notice that they all look distorted and foreshortened compared to their true shapes because of our viewing perspective from here on earth. In the inset drawing however, the features are shown in their true shapes and perspectives. "Yeah, so what?" you say, "that's common knowledge today". And this is true, except that the drawing was done in the early 1960's, long before orbiting imagers were deployed. How could this be?

The man who drew that picture was Hawaiian native Alika Herring. Alika was, amongst other things, a master optician for the Cave Optical Co. as well as an artist. He went to work for the Lunar Planetary Institute in the Luna Planetary Lab in the early 1960's. At that lab, they used a 61" reflector telescope to observe and map the moon. Imaging was a relatively crude process in those days, and sketching still produced superior results in some realms. But it's how they got the perspective that is really ingenious.

What they did was they projected the image from the scope onto a sphere - a 36" diameter white globe to be exact - and then they photographed the projected image from an overhead perspective. Very clever! Alika then took these images and combined them with his own visual observations to create a full series of lunar limb maps that showed all the features in a then-unprecedented level of accuracy. Of course this was all in the Apollo heyday, when every effort was being expended to learn every thing we could about the moon and it's interesting to learn about the methods employed to get the results that were desired.

Anyone interested in learning more about the history of this limb-drawing process can find the original documents here; https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/sic/collect ... mb-areas-i , and by Googling "rectified drawings of the lunar limb areas".
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: A Little Lunacy To Pass The Blizzard

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice image Mike, and an interesting bit of astronomy trivia!
Bruce D
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Great image Mike. And a fascinating paper, what a clever approach to getting the limb drawings.
Andy
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

That's one of those obvious solutions where one says "Why didn't I think of that?" Fascinating.

Oh yeah, very nice camera work on your part Andy.

Pete
Pete P.
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Mike,

Your Lunar imaging is incredible!

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Pete wrote: Oh yeah, very nice camera work on your part Andy.
I wish I could take credit but that was all Mike!
Andy
Thuban

Unread post by Thuban »

I wasn't aware of any of this that's so cool.
Mike C
Orion XT8 Dobsonian
Orion ST80 Equitorial
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Mike that was a clever approach to complicated problem with great results, and like Pete said I wish I would of thought of that!! Thanks for that information Mike. :P
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hey Mike,

Nice pic!

This would make a great short presentation to the club- or perhaps a longer one if you wish. Would you consider this for March or April?

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur