A couple galaxy cluster images

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

A couple galaxy cluster images

Unread post by AndyG »

A couple more images from data collected over the last month at home and at Frosty Drew.

It's hard to see all the little galaxies in these low-res versions. If you click the images they go to a page with higher resolution versions you can zoom in and see hundreds of galaxies :!:

The first is Abell 262, a faint cluster between Andromeda and Triangulum.

This one is the Perseus cluster, the same one we were observing visually at the Connecticut Star Party. I was excited to see that the camera picked up what looks like jets in NGC 1275.

Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: A couple galaxy cluster images

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Mind boggling. And also a pair of very nice examples of the capabilities of a modern-day amateur astronomer. Thanks for the perspective, Andy. It's always appreciated.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks, Mike!
Andy
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Wow Andy those are incredible. I like seeing what we were visually looking at CSP and confirming what we saw with your image.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Great images Andy! I was struck by the number of "symmetries" I perceived in the first image- The two bright stars top center appear almost identical, the top left galaxies PGC6977 and PGC6946 appear very similar in shape and aspect, the 2 blue stars bracketing PGC6946 appear almost identical, NGC 717 and NGC714 appear very similar in appearance and aspect, as do PGC6997 and PGC197604. Just below NGC714 there is a crooked line of 3 bright blue stars and the pattern is repeated almost identically- albeit rotated 90 degrees, immediately to the right. It's *almost* repeated a third time next to TYC2319-119-1... although the spacing between 2 of the stars is off, the angle created looks very similar. I'm just "seeing animal shapes in the clouds", but I found it added to the pleasure I got looking at the image. Most star fields really do seem completely random but my eye was drawn to all these similarities throughout the image.
Bruce D