Mars Meets its Rival

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Mars Meets its Rival

Unread post by Apollo XX »

A little over a week ago there was a highly touted conjunction of Mars and its night sky rival, the red giant Antares. For a few nights they were separated by just a few degrees and made an attractive naked-eye sight. This photo was taken about 1 hour after sunset on the evening of Sunday, September 28th. The waxing crescent Luna was also present, as was Saturn. It was a pretty sight. Nikon D5000, 50mm prime @ F2, ISO640, 1 second.

"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: Mars Meets its Rival

Unread post by AndyG »

Great shot, Mike.
Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice, I'm sorry I missed the live event but your image is the next best thing to being there!
Bruce D
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

I really like the offscreen spaceship shooting the laser beams. Gives a real sense of mystery.

Time to call The Men in Black.
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur