North America Nebula Narrowband

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

North America Nebula Narrowband

Unread post by AndyG »

Here is a companion image to go with the Pelican I shot last month. The image is part of the North America Nebula, NGC 7000 in Cygnus. (There is actually a small overlap of this field of view with the Pelican shot, can you find it?)

More detail is visible if you click the image for a higher resolution version. Image acquisition details are here.

Andy
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: North America Nebula Narrowband

Unread post by Pete »

It's gotta be magic 'cuz all my stars are always at least 20 times as big, not pinpoints.
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Another awesome image Andy!

One of the things I always enjoy about your images: I look at it and am awestruck with the detail, the focus, the colors, then I see the instructions to "click for more detail" and I'm blown away all over again!
Bruce D
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks, Bruce!

Pete, I think the narrowband filters are largely responsible for reducing the size of the stars since they greatly reduce the flux of the stars relative to the nebulae. The same imaging gear with broadband (LRGB) filters definitely produces fatter stars. Also, this is a pretty wide field of view 1.6 x 1.2 deg (3x width of full moon) so stars of a given magnitude start out smaller than at longer focal length (is that just an effect of the seeing?). Ultimately, how the image is processed (stretched etc.) has a huge effect on how the stars come out looking. Of course focus, guiding, the scope's optics, and seeing conditions all play a role too.
Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Just superb, Andy. Really brings out the artist in you.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks Tom!
Andy